Best Mapping Chip

reelinrolly

Hey guys ,

I just bought a Humminbird 898 si hd and I am trying to decide the best chip to get

Imainy fish the St. Clair river , Lake St Clair and lake Erie I also fish up near North Bay

I was just wondering what chip wouldbe my best bet. I was browsing the navionics platinum it seemed pretty good for what I want, is there anything better out there

Thanks for any advice guys

I second bill as well that's the 2 chips I run in both my bow unit and rear unit !!!! Hot maps shows detailed contour and the gold is great as well with loads of detail too !!!! And if you ever change units those will work in others as well !!!! But the platinum won't run in all units something to think about !!!! Cheers

To get coverage on all three lakes, you would need to order The East Great Lakes Platinum+ 901P+ chart. This covers Lakes Ontario, Erie, St Clair, Huron and Georgian Bay. Platinum gives you both 2D and 3D chart data. Platinum+ is for coastal areas, including the Great Lakes. HotMaps Platinum covers inland lakes (here is the link to see the lake listing. click on any region) http://navionics.com/en/hotmaps-platinum

you also get one free year of updates on the chip and must register within 60 days of purchase.

check out lakemaster chart Great Lakes MI/IN/OH/KY/TN

covers erie, niagara, detroit river and st clair with detail navionics can only dream of......

Give Josh a call at angling outfitters he will hook you up.

You would need then another card for north bay as lakemaster unfortunatley has not made it into canada yet

• 4 weeks later...

Coming soon to Canada Navionics will release a new program called sonarcharts (please don't hold me to a release date, but maybe this fall). Your hummingbird plotter has the ability to record sonar. If you upload this data to navionics, you will see a new layer of bathymetric data on your platinum chip everytime you update it. here are two screen shots of what I recorded two weeks ago in NJ. Big difference after Hurricane Sandy down here.

Rolly, the P+ would really excel on your waters. There's a ton of humps on the east shore that show up in 3D mode that you won't see otherwise. The Navionics contour lines are close but the 3D mode provides additional shading that reveal. Let's hookup sometime and you can see for yourself.