Couple musky lures I made

GbayGiant

The jointed ones are 9" and the big cranks are 12" without the lip. I made these in the fall and already banged them around on the rocks in November but never got a hit. :Gonefishing: so there a little scratched up. I don't have a work shop so I make one at a time when I make them, they are never the same but the mechanics are all in perfect working order, the paint job and epoxy top coats are a different story. :blush:

I painted these ones by hand and a regular spray can.

gallery_322_261_42452.jpg

These were my first attempt with a air brush, tough to get the hang of but it does blend better.

gallery_322_261_80737.jpg

And I just made these a few weeks ago, just need to add the hardware and epoxy coats.

gallery_322_261_18642.jpg

I wish I had a work shop to make 40 or 50 blanks at a time of the same design and paint schemes to get better at it. It would be much easier and would be a lot more efficient but it's still fun building one at a time with the tools all over the place. :lol: I could work outside in the summer but that's fishing time, no time to be building lures.

Edited by GbayGiant

Wow John! These are awesome! Did you have to experiment with prototypes to get them relatively tuned, and use the best design to spec the final lure? I love the design and the paint job you have achieved, especially considering that you have limited workshop resources. The upper displayed lures have a cool resemblance to the Jake. I should have picked one up while I was at the Byng last weekend to troll behind the boat. But oh yeah, it was so windy that we were going more backward when we wanted to move forward. When are these fine pieces of artwork for sale? <wink> ;) Excellent job again, I'm impressed!

Russell

Thanks fellas. Yup, Red Cedar

Did you have to experiment with prototypes to get them relatively tuned, and use the best design to spec the final lure? . I should have picked one up while I was at the Byng last weekend to troll behind the boat. But oh yeah, it was so windy that we were going more backward when we wanted to move forward. When are these fine pieces of artwork for sale? <wink>

It was windier than a witches broomstick out there. :lol: Well I just made the design/shape with Correll Draw and then traced it on the wood. The hardest part is tuning them, the most important thing is the lip slot has to be square so you cut it out before shaping while the wood is still blocked and everything has to be centered, from there it's into the bath tub to make sure the weight is good and it's floating straight, after that a test in the boat and then paint if it's running good.

They are all going in my tackle box, lol, theres lot's of compitition out there in musky world. I would have to make 100 of the same lure/design and perfect a couple paint schemes before I would think of selling any, it would be much easier once you have a go to design on paper all measured and calculated. My personal tackle box will look good for now. :lol: