Second piking adventure...success (with a sweet surprise)!

frozen-fire

So, after the awesome day out two days ago, my girlfriend and I decided to head back and try for some more. Decided not to go so early this time and head during the afternoon when the fish were more aggressive anyways.

When we finally made it to the island, I was pretty surprised that there were sooo many people fishing. For some reason, I kinda felt that the fishing wasn't going to be as good. With people fishing on both sides of almost all the canals, felt like the pressure was up there.

We start casting with the same setup as the first time out, but this time with leaders. The black leaders really stood out, so I was worried that the fish would see this and not take or follow as readily. Was proven wrong though as after 15 minutes in, my gf gets a nice hit and brings the pike in. It however does a little flip before we're able to land it, shaking the lure off. Was a little guy, so it saved us the trouble. :)

A little while later, I soon get a hit and pull one in... nice way to start the day.

May10thpiking001Small.jpg

May10thpiking007Small.jpg

Couple casts later, another one! It was hooked very slightly, so I just brought it in and took the lure out with fish still in water.

May10thpiking009Small.jpg

May10thpiking013Small.jpg

It was really an awesome day weatherwise, which could possibly be the reason why so many people were out. Lots of cool wildlife to be seen as well.

Lots of geese getting busy with the little ones.

May10thpiking017Small.jpg

May10thpiking021Small.jpg

And I thought that racoons living in tree trunks were just seen in cartoons or whatever...it was so cool hahaha.

May10thpiking034Small.jpg

I soon land another one. Biggest for me for the day at 27" and 4 lbs.

May10thpiking045Small.jpg

After releasing the fish, my gf screams that she's got one on too, so I go and help her out.

May10thpiking047Small.jpg

She was on a role cause after like 2 minutes, shes' got something HUGE on... I could see that it fought like a monster. It was a while before the fish actually surfaced showing itself. Biggest one I have ever seen. BOWFIN!! 27" and 6 lbs even. Such a cool prehistoric fish.

May10thpiking049Small.jpg

May10thpiking054Small.jpg

May10thpiking055Small.jpg

I land one more before we call it a day.

May10thpiking056Small.jpg

May10thpiking058Small.jpg

All in all, I would say that it was another great day and a cool unique fish as well!

Nice report great pics of the Ducks.nice shots of the snot rockets and Bowfin.

Enjoy your Shimano Stradic reel I apsolutely love it.Did it come with the Bob Izumi Rod and reel combo?

Keep up those great reports young man.

Oh and one more thing you should bring Urban Angler he seems to be a bit Rusty he needs lessons from a beginner like you. :whistling:

WTG :clapping:

MTP

Hey great report again. Some really nice fish you got there. That Bowfin is huge. Your girlfriend certainly knows how to catch some good fish. I wish I could get my wife to even hold a sunfish let alone something prehistoric like that! LOL

I wish I wasn't working and had time to be down at the islands every day. Thanks for posting.

Cheers

Nice report great pics of the Ducks.nice shots of the snot rockets and Bowfin.

Enjoy your Shimano Stradic reel I apsolutely love it.Did it come with the Bob Izumi Rod and reel combo?

Keep up those great reports young man.

Oh and one more thing you should bring Urban Angler he seems to be a bit Rusty he needs lessons from a beginner like you. :whistling:

WTG :clapping:

MTP

I got the stradic during BPS's spring sale event. Traded in a old reel and a got a sweet deal on it. Had to pay separate for the rod though. Shimano Compre...got a free hat at least :D

Hey great report again. Some really nice fish you got there. That Bowfin is huge. Your girlfriend certainly knows how to catch some good fish. I wish I could get my wife to even hold a sunfish let alone something prehistoric like that! LOL

I wish I wasn't working and had time to be down at the islands every day. Thanks for posting.

Cheers

I had to start her off with small panfish...then it went to lipping some big bass...now it's handling longer fish you can't lip...

Funny thing though...she can handle the live fish no problem but totally freaked out and ran away when she snagged a HUGE dead carp. The thing must've weighed like 20lbs. I am unsure of it's cause of death...old age? Looked pretty fresh to me. She can't handle dead fish haha.

Gotta start making some dough soon, so not many more of these trips. :(

Oh that is just awesome (again) !!

Lucky to have a such cool (fishing) partner!

--------

What type/how did you work the lure?

-------

Oh and it must have been a lot of pike reports recently made a lot of people fish there ;)

The lure is a x-rap silver and black. You can fish it by retreiving it slowly or quickly or jerk it and make 2-3 seconds pauses.

Judging from the clothings you guys wear in the picture, I think I saw you two landing a pike yesterday. I think I was fishing too early yesterday, maybe I should go to the island in the afternoon like you instead of early morning. Thanks for the report, makes me wanna try it out again.

Nice fish i really cant wait for tommorow now.I have a nice little spot just loaded with pike i hope it usually does.

The only thing that would have made it a better day would have been gridlock playing on center island. :whistling:

Edited by JEREMY

I really never considered fishing Lake O from shore until I have been seeing these posts lately. Good inspiration, plus maybe it will take a little pressure of the usual smaller lakes that get pounded on this time of year.

Keep it up my man