Canon camera recommendation

smitty55

Hiya folks. Last September I lost my old Canon A1 slr to a fire. The insurance company has offered me a Rebel T3 as a replacement.I know this is an entry level unit but they still consider it an upgrade from my old camera.

My question is, how much better pics could I expect if I upgrade to the T5i. Is it worth my while to spend the extra $$, or is it mostly because of all the extra features that most folks don't tend to use?

Tks for your input. Cheers

I'm not the most up to date on canon product lines (and far from a technically advanced photographer), I have a g12 and is my first canon camera, takes great pics and is perfect boat camera for me

here's a link outlining the differences, to me the extra cost would be worth it for more mp's and iso sensitivity, HDR is a cool thing to learn, the flip screen is handy

http://www.2cameraguys.com/Canon-EOS-Rebel-T5i-IS-vs-Canon-EOS-Rebel-T3.htm

With the T5i you get 18MP vs 12 on the T3.. 1080p video vs 720p on the T3, bigger rear screen + swivel (2.7 vs 3in)... They are both entry level DSLR's so the image quality itself will be almost identical.

Edited by BillM

I hear you Dan, but unfortunately my old telephoto zoom was a Tamron so they are not giving it a high value. But I will for sure get IS and USM. The difference in price to jump to a much better lens will be a lot more than between the T3 and T5.It would be nice for sure but I am not employed atm so funds are limited. At the least I get 50% better resolution and 1080p vids. Plus that HDR sounds like it could be real fun to play with.

Tks for the replies folks. I'm going to check into the exact specs of that old telemacro lens.I might get lucky. Cheers

Edited by smitty55

I have a T3 and I love it- it takes great 1080 HD video, and I am very happy with my pics. Look for a lens bundle if you can- different vendors will sometimes offer a couple of lenses to sweeten the deal. My old T1 fell in a live well, and while I hated to replace it, the quality of this camera impresses me much more than the old one. I have no complaints!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tks for the replies folks. A box just came in the mail the other day.

I ended up with the Canon T5I with an 18-55 IS STM lens kit.

Also got the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM.

While the 70-200 f/4 gets a bit better reviews I'm sure I'll be quite happy with what I got.

It's been a long time since I've used my old SLR and the more reading I do the more I realize that I've forgotten most of the knowledge I had in the past. That being said, I figure I should take a good photography course so I'm hoping someone here (maybe Justin) could recommend a good place in the Ottawa area to take one. I'm sure it will greatly improve my learning curve.

Cheers

I'm sure you will be happy with your camera

for myself I spent more on the body as well, buying brand new, and I've managed to find good deals on quality used glass all the time....I find photographers go through more glass pieces than bodies, always buying new glass and swapping/selling/trading...check out craigslist and kijiji and be aware to inspect before you buy, most legit guys are more than willing to meet at a photo shop too

there are a ton of books to choose from but I learned the most attending a few quick courses, hands on, talking to a pro who is helping you learn how to use your camera, really helps