Top water Pike Fishing Question...

mikeymikey

I've had alot of luck when the water is a bit murky and slower current, overcast skies. Got a bunch of my top water pj pop red and black and also on berkley frenzy frog. Top water can be lots of fun and it sure does make your heart start pumping faster when you see the explosive strike no matter how big the fish is.

My only advice for topwater pike would be to use baits that track straight and are therefore easier for the pike to get a bead on. I have seen pike miss while trying to hit walk the dog baits like the Zara Spook. I like Jitterbugs or Buzzbaits for my topwater piking. Also keeping a constant speed rather than a stop and go retreive seems to work best for me.

Ahh my favorite kinda fishing. The idea situation is a low cloud ceiling looking like its going to rain but it doesn't and no wind if any very little. And 3 days before or 3 days after a full moon. Is the greatest time. Fish the shallows, fish the rocky bolders and deep drop offs.

I personally had great luck using a walk the dog lure. I prefer the straight black color or red/white lure. Move the lure but not fast, walk it very slowly across the water ( like snake slithering smoothly) with an occasional long pause. The fish will hit it when its even sitting still. Twiched 2-3 times and let it sit in one spot.

The most effective method is to twitch the bait but try to keep it in the same spot. Thats the key. Any fish around will come and check out all the commotion or any ripples on the surface. AND ATTACK IT!!

H

dsn

I've had a little success when the water is like glass using a green/white hula popper or a BPS top knocker in black/silver (really noisy rattle) . I think alot of it is the noise (vibration) they create. Usually the hit will come as soon as it hits the water or shortly after. Make sure when the lure lands to wait for a five count. Five ,four,three,two ........... BAM. Have fun.

Edited by kennyman

I don't go by time of year or weather when using top waters, but presentation, if I want to fish 2-5 feet of water than I will use them, if I want to stay over top of thick weeds I use them.

If you read the magazines from years back and each year to this date, they contradict everything they say all the time, lol . So basically if you read every magazine and article ever written, and listened to every pro and all the movies you will find that everything works, but according to the media one year it works the next it doesn't or they just find somthing else to write about (new) I think it's getting out of control, it's just fishing not rocket science, you don't have to be a marine biologist from Yale to be a good fisherman but it seems like it these days.

Sorry for the little rant. :lol: If you put enough hours in on the water you just start to understand the fish better and that's what it's all about.

EXEPT FOR THE OFC EMAG THATS THE ONLY 100% ACCURATE MAGAZINE OUT THERE. :D

Keep a look out for my mag coming early 2008, it's called EVERYTHING WORKS at the write time and write spot. :lol:

Edited by GbayGiant