The opening weekend that didn't happen

Big Cliff

Zone 17 opening weekend for walleye.

It had been beautiful all week until the cold front moved in on Friday. My boat was ready, all my rods were respooled my tackle sorted and ready, then I woke up Saturday morning.

White caps on the lake, wind howling, and cold. I took one look out my front window saw about 25 boats out there bouncing around like corks and decided that no walleye was worth going out in that, at least not when I can fish almost any time I want.

Sunday turned out to be even worse, rain, snow at times, white caps on the lake, the only difference was there were only about 4 boats that I could see that were brave enough to head out and try their luck. Again, I wasn't one of them, I'll wait for a nicer day before I get out there.

I talked to a few of the fellows that had braved the elements and the story was pretty much the same from all of them; fishing was really tough and not a lot of fish were caught. Guess it was a good call on my part. I love fishing but I want to be able to enjoy myself! :)

I had plans to get out Sat morning for some walleyes, however the lake I had choosen was pretty much the same. Toughed it out for 2 hrs, then picked up, moved about 5 miles down the road to my other spot and got into some really nice crappies until about 3pm. Secluded, out of the wind and the sun actually came out around noon!

Tough weekend to fish anywhere in S. Ontario.

Fished Sturgeon from 0730 - 1900.

Water temp 58F -> 62F

2 eyes over the slot, 1 under and 1 at 18".

Sat afternoon was actually nice for a little while, the sun was out and the wind died down.

Slow was the theme of the day.

I heard some guys had luck at the lock in Lindsay after midnight on Friday. Too bad they didn't read the regs to know they were breaking the law. Over slot fish were being kept. They didn't even have to battle the waves! The TIPS line was notified.

Got out on a Kawartha lake on Saturday.

Tough bite in the wind but we ended up boating 9 walleye, 3 small musky and a couple of OOS bass.

Very slow was the ticket. small grubs got bit

might get out for 1 more walleye trip this year