Loomis GL2 dropshot rod.

porkpie

Anyone used these? (Spinning). Fiddling with one at bass pro the other day, and seemed like it might make the perfect multi use rod for pickerel fishing. Rod has a softer tip and a fair bit of power in the lower half. Opinions and input please, although I have no intention of dropshotting with the rod, but fishing live bait and tossing xraps and husky jerks, as well as ball heads and twister tails. Your thoughts on this particular fishing pole please! Also looked at the diawa pickerel rod, that was pretty decent too!

no particular comments on that exact rod, but I have a couple GL2's and they are great rods, not the most sensitive rod out there(at least compared to a glx, cumulus or other top line models) but fishes nicely...they are durable rods too, they get beat up a lot more than some other expensive rods I baby

I have a rod labelled as a drop shot rod that I use for jerk baits, like the action for jerk baits, lots of back bone and a soft tip exactly like you mentioned

Thanks for the reply. Yes, action seems appropriate for what I want, glad to hear they are a durable rod! When fishing from my boat multiple rods are no issue, but for a couple trips per year, I am fishing from shore at dams, points and locks, and I dislike carrying around multiple rods. Finding one that does everything well can prove challenging! Hoping for more input!

What has gone downhill please? I have always had great experiences with loomis rods, and have been a customer for 20 years. I own 2 current production loomis rods and am quite satisfied. I recently had a friend who availed himself of warranty on a loomis rod and he was quite satisfied. I would be glad to hear of your personal experiences with loomis quality and customer service issues as I am open to other gear, and frankly was quite impressed with some of the diawa offerings. Thanks for your input!

it's mostly the quality of the craftmanship since shimano took over and gary left...have heard complaints about the nrx's being poorly built...to each their own I guess, I've been happy with my loomis rods

warranty is also rumoured to have gone downhill, but my experiences with shimano customer service have been nothing short of excellent...they dropped the no fault warranty (aka the abuse the crap out of warranty program) and replaced iwth with a one time wildcard

the current gl2 rods are very unbalanced and heavy. the guides aren't up to par for what they charge. you get a much better blank and guides on a dobyns savvy or daiwa fuego.

as for warranty....try bringing a nrx in for warranty and they'll tell you it's your fault. i know of many many people this has happened too. they basically force you to use your wild card. if you can accept that....buy one. i just bought a new nrx852s. i think of nrx rods as $300 rods with a $200 replacement fee.

I have the pre gl2 drop shot Loomis rod and its a perfect rod, all I suggest is get the heavier action of the two offered for those species you didn't think you would get into. The action is nice and transfers well into the power of the rod. I've landed some nice ski on them up to 43" and they handled them easily.

darren

If your plan is to use the rod for jerkbaits, I don't recall any Dobyns savvy sticks that will accommodate this technique. If you want to step up to a champion series, they have crankbait rods that will work great but they are casting rods.

I bought a gl2 casting rod for jerkbaits this winter and it is a pretty nicely finished rod balances awesome with a Lew's team gold speed spool.But the horror stories of the nrx I have read about do not sound very nice especially when the rods costs so much.

Check this out. http://forums.tackletour.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=50255

And if that isn't enough, there is another post titled nrx not aging well.

I always take these types of posts with a grain if salt because you don't know how people really handle their equipment but I have had to use a Dobyns warranty and it is extremely hassle free. Brought the broken rod into the store and told the owner my rod locker got hungry, handed over $60.00 and walked out with a brand new rod. G. Loomis will allow this with the wild card once (and i won cost you anything) but if it happens again, you are out of luck.This is why 4 of my 7 rods are Dobyns. I wanted to try the gl2 and the other two rods are old shimano compre's. Coincidentally before I bought the gl2, I have been issuing the old compre medium fast spinning rod for jekbaits and it works fine. It was just a little too long for me at 7 feet.

Adam

it's mostly the quality of the craftmanship since shimano took over and gary left...have heard complaints about the nrx's being poorly built...to each their own I guess, I've been happy with my loomis rods

warranty is also rumoured to have gone downhill, but my experiences with shimano customer service have been nothing short of excellent...they dropped the no fault warranty (aka the abuse the crap out of warranty program) and replaced iwth with a one time wildcard

i have been very happy with my nrx fly rod

The bad customer service and warranty isn't only with NRX, it's all gloomis. The warranty rep now contacts you directly instead of your local dealer. You can have the dealer ship it in but the warranty approval is case by case now.

Most likely the rep will call you and say the rod damage is not fishing related and charge you for repairs or offer a 1/2 price discount on a new rod.

Edited by musky_hunter

I have gone with a diawa instead, not because of warranty, but due to handling the gl2 dropshotting rod again, and deciding the action wasn't quite what i had in mind. Saved a hundred bucks as well! Thanks for all your input!

The bad customer service and warranty isn't only with NRX, it's all gloomis. The warranty rep now contacts you directly instead of your local dealer. You can have the dealer ship it in but the warranty approval is case by case now.

Most likely the rep will call you and say the rod damage is not fishing related and charge you for repairs or offer a 1/2 price discount on a new rod.

which makes perfect sense, i mean you slam your rod in a car door and break it, or step on it, its breaks on user error, not at the fault of the company, its called saving money, and its not specific to loomis, a lot of major rod companieshave this warranty clause

it makes sense if you break it by a door or stepping on it.

the cases i am talking about are 1 year or less or even new glx and nrx rods that were broken during tournaments. they were told the break were not fishing related and refused warranty. they were offered 1/2 price on a new rod or told to use wild card. how would you feel about this after spending $450 on a glx or $550 on a nrx.

after you use your wild card you are SOL.

i try to stay away from gloomis products unless it's a rod that excels like the nrx893, nrx852, and nrx822.

Edited by musky_hunter

which makes perfect sense, i mean you slam your rod in a car door and break it, or step on it, its breaks on user error, not at the fault of the company, its called saving money, and its not specific to loomis, a lot of major rod companieshave this warranty clause

Life time warranty against defects in materials and workmanship does not include accidents.

I have two GL2 spinning rods. Jig and worm and a Dropshot. Well balanced. Light weight. Love the Dropshot. Nice soft tip for cranbaits, worm harnesses, trolling light lures, etc. My only complaint would be the handle configuration. The reel seats just feel awkward to me.

I have fished many G. Loomis rods and I've only ever broken one. It was no fault of G. Loomis. Since the takeover by Shimano much has gone downhill. I've seen many Defects in wormanship. ie: blanks that aren't straight, guides not completely wrapped, wraps not completely covered with epoxy, guides that were not properly aligned etc.

Bottom line is Shimano doesn't have the quality control that Garry Loomis had. They also need to take a step back and realize that haste makes waste.

Edited by kwikfish

My understanding of the GL2 seris is they were designed for jig/ worm applications. I didn't realize there was a specific drop shot rod. I have two GL2's. 802 JWS and 854 JWS. 802 is nice for small cranks and jerkbaits and a variety of soft plastic presentations. 854 is a meat stick. Should be good for swimbaits and big cranks and jerkbaits. Less of a multi tasker than the 802... which has become my go to for twitching suspending jerkbaits at night for walleye. Wicked feel and control. Hurry up friday midnight!!!

My understanding of the GL2 seris is they were designed for jig/ worm applications. I didn't realize there was a specific drop shot rod. I have two GL2's. 802 JWS and 854 JWS. 802 is nice for small cranks and jerkbaits and a variety of soft plastic presentations. 854 is a meat stick. Should be good for swimbaits and big cranks and jerkbaits. Less of a multi tasker than the 802... which has become my go to for twitching suspending jerkbaits at night for walleye. Wicked feel and control. Hurry up friday midnight!!!

Yes, I was looking at the rod for for pickeral fishing with the soft tip with quite a bit of meat in the bottom end, however decided that the tip was just a touch too soft. I have gone with a diawa instead as the action matched my intended purposes more closley, which is 3-4 inch jerkbaits, ballhead and twister combos and hook and splitshot combos for straight live bait presentations. I had no intention of "drop shotting" whatsover with the rod, more that I don't like carrying more than one rod around with me when night fishing from shore in the spring, and want one that covers all the bases as well as possible! From my boat its a non issue, as I can carry as many rods as I want, fishing at night with multiple rods from shore leaves your spare open to being stepped on or stolen when you are not paying attention! Hopefully the diawa will meet all my needs! I will find out next weekend! Thanks again for all the input!