First piking adventure ever.... success!

For the pike down there, make sure you are using at least 50lb test Fluorocarbon LEADER MATERIAL (not to be mistaken for fluorcarbon fishing line). Brian or Steve can hook you up at JB's. I made a few leaders for my piking expedition next week up on Lake Muskoka. (50lb Seaguar, SPRO coastlock snap and SPRO ball bearing swivels).

That's the thing. I was at Le Baron's today and I asked about my setup and what kind of leader I should use. At first, the old asian guy behind the counter started saying things like why the hell i even have 30lb PP on and that i won't be able to catch any fish with that thick of line. He kept saying that I should never be using that heavy of line cause it affects the movement of the lure and also fish will not want to bite. He also stated that the use of this heavy of line will damage my rod and reel. This guy's been at the store for a long time, so I really don't know.

I grabbed some seaguar leader material from the rack and proceeded to ask another associate about this subject. He told me to not bother and to just use the regular black steel leaders that sell for 2.99 for a pack of 12.

I really don't know what to think. They think that 30 lb is way too heavy and that I should be using 15. Everyone is giving different opinions. I'm currently using the 30lb PP now cause someone who has given me good info before suggested it at BPS.

Great report and congratulations on a good day out. You caught some nice fish there and sounds like everyone enjoyed themselves. :thumbsup_anim:

Pity I missed the photos before editing, can't stand the photoshopping treatment but understand why. I was down there in the evening on Tuesday - haven't had chance to do a report yet - did hook what I presume was a pike on a mepps but it came off - story of my fishing year really. I think my friend and me may have walked past you guys when we arrived ay Centre Island.

that guy is stuck in his old ways (the asian guy), titanium leaders are awesome, so are fluocarbon. Braid can damage equipment, but who cares, just go out and buy new stuff :)

pretty soon we'll think you FHR's brother, nice going on a great day at the islands, may try tommorrow afternoon

F4M

The diameter of 30 lb PP is roughly equal to 8 lb mono, and so I don't see how line thickness should be an issue. Perhaps the sales guy thought you had 30 lb mono, 'coz 30 lb PP is sure as hell not that thick. I have 30 lb, 40 lb, and 50 lb PP on four of my reels, one of which is identical to yours (Stradic 2500 on Compre), and I've caught plenty of fish without any equipment damage.

Great report! Saw the pics before they were blurred and that's some serious trekking. Good work

You're lucky to have a gf that's into fishing. For me, they don't pass the "Mikey-test" unless they can shoot a fly line 90ft into the backing and/or prepare sushi...Which could be the reason why I'm still single...Maybe I have to lower the standard to 65ft and work from there...

I use a titanium leader for my pike fishing and have no complaints.

are these titanium leaders available at a lot of places? didn't think i noticed any while at LB.

I've never heard a good thing said about titanium leaders but have heard plenty of complaints about them, specially from guys using them for muskies. Every musky board I visit has had guys complaining about the leaders coming apart, even from smaller fish.

We were out one night and my partner was using a brand new one right outta the package and it came apart just from casting a bucktail.

Seems like the titanium is so slippery that knots or crimps don't hold and they come undone, and when it happens, which they do very frequentely, you lose the $16 leader, plus the bait your using, plus you leave the fish to die with a face full of trebles.

My suggestion would be quality fluro leaders, and if you don't want to make them yourselves, you can buy them pre-made.

Just offering an opinion here guys.....

I agree with Lew on this one.

I have some 7 strand leaders, and they ripped apart while trolling a small-ish Believer. Won;t use them again.

Flouro is nice, BUT I do have an issue with it. If they are crimped, I always find that if I'm working through weeds, they really collect in the crimp and destroy the action of the bait. There are a ton of weeds down there, so myself personally, I wouldn't use them.

I normally use Berkley nylon coated wire leaders in 50# test for island piking, and haven't had an issue yet.

As for you line being too heavy...thats a load of crap too. I have 50# PP in my Curado 200 for casting, and 30# PP on my Symetre for spinning applications, and never had a problem. As for it being hard on gear, I would wager that nearly every decent rod made these days are built to handle it...meaning that it won't damage your guides.