Running hydro to a new construction

Rod Caster

Has anyone run power underground from a roadside aerial service to a house? I'm thinking of running 200ft of cable from the road to a house to avoid paying for a pole and its associated installation fees. I figure I could get an excavator/ditching bucket to excavate a ditch for much less $$$.

I'm guessing Hydro One would connect to my underground cables no charge.... since they install the first 100 feet of aerial cable at no cost as well (from what I understand).

call hydro one for a inspection and a layout it is free.. they will tell you what you need .. i needed to dig down 36 inches and make sure free of big rocks. then needed mortor sand for the ends for a cushion . they will give you a diagram on what you need. they supplied my wire for free as they came in aprox 135 feet .

Ive done many ...underground is the way to go....youll need a messanger type Big O (red strip) to run your power lines through and then cover with loose material a foot above and then run caution tape 12 in above the Big O...you can set your own meter and wire your entire house if you know what your doing...dont forget you will have inspections so leave your trench open for inspection once your meter base is set

If you need any more info ...feel free to pm me

Edited by Twocoda

I would tend to think that in your situation underground will be more money. There are some variables to the equation. Underground wire, I believe, will cost more. If you have to go under your driveway, the wire needs to be in solid pipe, I think.

But cost isn't everything, The hassle of a pole in your yard isnt too good.(something for SOMEONE to run into,and they aren't real pretty) You have to think about trees and ice storms for overhead wires. (losing power) So I think you will be much happier going underground vs overhead regardless. But im thinking a true "Sparky will know the exact answer cost wise and chime in.

Cheers

DB2 is what I thought I needed too...

So they'll supply the wires, will connect from their aerial and perform an inspection, and the rest is up to me?

Anyone know of some kind of Standard Operating Procedure for these types of installations? I couldn't find anything on their website last night.

Edited by Rod Caster

I would tend to think that in your situation underground will be more money. There are some variables to the equation. Underground wire, I believe, will cost more. If you have to go under your driveway, the wire needs to be in solid pipe, I think.

But cost isn't everything, The hassle of a pole in your yard isnt too good.(something for SOMEONE to run into,and they aren't real pretty) You have to think about trees and ice storms for overhead wires. (losing power) So I think you will be much happier going underground vs overhead regardless. But im thinking a true "Sparky will know the exact answer cost wise and chime in.

Cheers

I agree. The aerial/pole never seemed like a good idea to me... Underground seems like a cleaner install and safer. Running under the driveway requires additional protective measures; sterofoam and boards from what I was told.

Last I heard, it cost around $1,800 to buy and install a hydro pole...

I agree with chessy, Your first move should be contact hydro, they will send someone out to have a look. If your lucky and home, you can talk to the person directly. in my experience these things take a bit of time to sort themselves out. So you may want to make the call sooner than later.

I agree with chessy, Your first move should be contact hydro, they will send someone out to have a look. If your lucky and home, you can talk to the person directly. in my experience these things take a bit of time to sort themselves out. So you may want to make the call sooner than later.

Yup, done and done. Now to see if someone will call me back... I've had issues contacting Hydro One on the job site before.