Big Caribou Lake

gino

Hi folks!

Now, with the hard water season coming to an end, I'm planning for the summer trips. But first I have to do my homework....trying to find some info(basic ones...how is the location, what kind of fish is predominant in that particular body of water, quality of the lodging/cottage...etc,etc).

One of the places that i have in my mind is Big Caribou Lake. So, if any of you guys have recent experience(i'm thinking about last 2 years...) on this body of water, I would like to hear that so I know what to expect when I'll be there. i'm considering going either way, renting a cottage, going with a lodge or camping on crown land. I already checked some info about the lake on the internet but i would like to hear from the people that already been there how was the palce in they're opinion.

Any info is welcome, as usual...getting prepared is the key for a succsesfull and enjoyable trip.

Thank you very much for your help!

Gino :canadian:

We used to spend a week there every march. Icefishing was fantastic for lakers, and walleye. Even the odd pike. I haven't been up there for years though.

We were the first people to ever stay at Brooks cottages in the winter. We used to stay at a local motel for the week, then convinced the guys at brooks that they should open up thier cabins for the winter. So, the next winter, they called us and said they had winterized a cabin for us. We went there for 4-5 years, they included an ice hut with the cabin rental. The people at Brooks were great, but since then, they've opened up all thier cottages, and it was starting to get a little busy for us.

I've been up there in the summer too. Caught some big pike. My brother caught a 41" er off the dock one morning lol.

Good spot, nice area, lots of lakes to choose from too.

S.

We used to camp on the islands as well. Some nice sites. We also wwinter camped up there a couple times.

Its. Gotta be 10 or more years since I've been up tha way tho, so I'm not really sure what the fishing is like these days. Nice country though.

S.

thank you Sinker, your info is much appreciated :worthy: ...I was wondering if there's anybody else on the forum that had more recent experience on this lake .

Of course, feel free to PM me if the info's are kinda "specific".. :whistling:

• 4 months later...

Fished there a few times, a buddies cottage is right near the boat launch. Its a nice lake, real deep and 10lb lakers can be had there. Bass fishing is real good as is the walleye. It can be tough to fish, but be sure to take 3.5" tube jigs and white swammers (caught my first laker there on a swammer)

Good luck to ya

RED