Anyone else carp fishing yet?

Rich

Headed down to camp out on my fav swim today. River's high and muddy but they are tight against the banks, lost two 10+ after work the last two days, caught an OOS brown on spicy corn. Today's the day for the bugles, I hope!

Anyone else been taking advantage of the warm front? Open water feels gooooooooood!!!!

Ponds with active winter carp are few and far between. Most places I go they show up on the camera looking like a rock. Covered in mud and laying face out of the bottom. They do not move for anything. Active carp are suspended and if any were active in your lake they were probably right alongside your pike & perch ;)

Better luck on your next outing Rich. Still musta been a blast having those two on for a bit anyway, eh?

I too enjoy carping throughout the winter. I remember putting away the carp gear in the fall but we now know if you locate a swim with open water, you can have 'em take you bait 12 months of the year. Heck, carp have even been caught through the ice.

Typically, I will go with a lighter leader, smaller hook and a smaller presentation of bait in winter than I would during the warmer months.

Ponds with active winter carp are few and far between. Most places I go they show up on the camera looking like a rock. Covered in mud and laying face out of the bottom. They do not move for anything. Active carp are suspended and if any were active in your lake they were probably right alongside your pike & perch ;)

Haha, ya. Except the pike and perch are a different lake, this one is only carp.

Hey Rich,

I find worms outfish corn early spring. I`ve always caught more carp on worms in the early spring then corn, especially river fishing.

Something about a fat juicy worm after a thaw that they cant say no to.

Hey Christopher,

I wouldnt be bothering with carp fishing through ice, they are not very likely to bite. Like Rich said they are probably there just sitting in sand and doing nothing

Got out yesterday... 4 of us carpin the banks of the St.Lawrence.... No takers... But got my first pink nose of the year... Felt great getting out....

Face was burning all day at work .. man that sun was nice .. for the 20-30mins it lasted :P

Hey Rich,

I find worms outfish corn early spring. I`ve always caught more carp on worms in the early spring then corn, especially river fishing.

Something about a fat juicy worm after a thaw that they cant say no to.

Hey Christopher,

I wouldnt be bothering with carp fishing through ice, they are not very likely to bite. Like Rich said they are probably there just sitting in sand and doing nothing

You cant put a worm in the water in my yard for too long without catching browns, or worse yet being accused of fishing for browns by the nosy neighbour down the way. Funny enough I catch more trout than carp at the beginning of the season on corn.

And the carp aren't 'probably' doing that. They are.