Ice Fishing Mill Lake near Parry Sound

Deeds

First, hello to everyone. Looking for some help. If anyone has been on the ice on Mill Lake near Parry Sound this year, I'm looking for some advice. I'm heading up there for the second weekend of March and staying near the Seguin at a buddy's cottage. He's not much of a fisherman and doesn't know much about hotspots. I'm curious if there is anywhere near there for pickies, lakers, and pike? Are there any white fish biting as well? I'm going two feet and a heartbeat so I probably won't be looking to hike too far though a couple k's won't bother me too much. Any and all help is appreciated.

I have fished it in the soft water, not through the ice. That said, I would look at saddles between the islands, drill numerous holes and fish the edges of the shoals.

There is an island kinda in the middle of the lake, closer to the north shore. That would be my target area for Pickereyes... that's where they are in the summer.

Hope that helps!

HH

I can't say I have ever fished Mill Lake before but I was fishing some lakes in that area a couple days ago and it was tough traveling , lots of snow and slush on top of the ice . Either way it will be good to get out and try a new spot .

I have fished it in the soft water, not through the ice. That said, I would look at saddles between the islands, drill numerous holes and fish the edges of the shoals.

There is an island kinda in the middle of the lake, closer to the north shore. That would be my target area for Pickereyes... that's where they are in the summer.

Hope that helps!

HH

My older brother live on Addie st. in the Sound for over 20 years when he was with the gov't. As I was in school then I would drive up almost every weekend and Summers were spent up there, Headhunter is bang on, They did not jump out of the hole but it did prove to have some productive fishing. From there we would go up the trails to the old 1867 restaurant at the north end which now is a burger and coffee stop.

You have to be careful and talk to the locals but just a few hundred yards from the coast guard dock proved to be good for pickerel.

Thanks, for the input guys, much appreciated. The thing that is bothering me now is that the MNR has no clear designation of a zone for Mill Lake. I've looked up and down the regulations for zones 14 and 15 and can't find it anywhere. I know picks and pike season are done for zone 14 but are open in 15 until the 15th of March. The problem is Mill is on the border of the zones. I suppose I'll have to call MNR tomorrow for the answer. Even if it's closed for pickies and pike I'm sure the Lakers and whitefish are biting a plenty. Thanks again.

My research suggests the lake's max. depth is 40.9 meters. The file also said that there were many different species, which doesn't suprise me with the seguin running into it. Says there is whities, lakers, pike, smallies, pickies, splake, crappy, rock bass.

My research suggests the lake's max. depth is 40.9 meters. The file also said that there were many different species, which doesn't suprise me with the seguin running into it. Says there is whities, lakers, pike, smallies, pickies, splake, crappy, rock bass.

Well then, have at 'er and let us know how you make out...

HH

I looked for that lake in the Parry Sound area and nothing turned up. The following link will tell you what FMZ it is in if you can find it on there.

http://www.web2.mnr.gov.on.ca/fish_online/fishing/fishingExplorer_en.html

Cheers....

Thanks Ron, I called MNR this morning and got the scoop. Zone 15 which is sweet because Pickies are open until the 15th and Pike until the end of March. I'm getting excited now.

Well then, have at 'er and let us know how you make out...

HH

Indeed I will HH. I go in with a positive attitude everytime I hit up a new lake, though I don't always leave with a whole lot. I hope I'll have a few pics to post. Either way, being on the water is fun when with good people. I suppose a few wobbleypops on the ice doesn't hurt either ;)

Today's the day, but hockey first at Maple Leaf Gardens! A few hours of puck then up to Mill Lake to test out my luck! Hope to post some pics! I'd like to thank you guys for the advice on the lake, once again. Glad to be a part of a very established forum of fishermen. Cheers!

Man, what a good time. I actually only brought one through the ice, but learned a lot about Mill Lake. First day was terrible as we only brought in one little pike. Some guys up from us picked up a few pickeral. Sunday I found a nice spot and picked up a pike, but missed two at the hole!!! Drove me nuts! An old timer up there said if we wanted to fish for lakers there was a nice deep pocket further across the lake from where we were, plus the whities bite too. We stuck it out with the old boy for Sunday where the pike were biting. Wish mine was worth taking a pic of, only a couple pounds. I'll be back for the soft water, but definitely going back with more knowledge for the next winter fish.

Thanks again for input from all of you. Cheers