Bathroom reno, contractor required, NF

Jer

We're going to be doing a bathroom remodel in the next few weeks (months?) and are in need of a qualified contractor for the job.

The reno will include new flooring, replacing the tub with a tiled walk-in shower, new fixtures, addition of a couple pot lights, exhaust fan, some wall tile, prep and paint. We are re-using the existing toilet and vanity with a new top. The bathroom is only 5' x 8' plus the 60" x 30" alcove for the shower.

This is our only bathroom in the house so minimum down-time without toilet and shower is important.

We're located in Ennismore, 20 minutes north of Peterborough. If anyone can recommend a contractor, it would be much appreciated.

If the timing is right, the ice may be gone and the crappie may be biting.

We are planning a much larger renovation later in the year: wall removal, new kitchen, new flooring, etc., so a good job in the bath may lead to more work.

Thanks for any recommendations.

Hi Jer,

In my recently posted introduction I mentioned that I was a contractor from the london area. I would be able to give a hand via advice, but the logistics don't make any sense. I could help "walk" you

through something like that if you were interested in attempting it on your own? As far as finding a contractor, IMO your best bet is to try and find someone local who has done work for someone you

know. Make sure you ask them if they were happy and trusted them.You may also consider that you may have to wait for someone that has a good reputation, I am usually nervous of the people that

can "start next week" that generally should never happen if they are reputable. You would also be beneficial that if you have your tile, tub, flooring, paint colours picked before you start ripping out.

Some things may need ordering. Again IMO time and material for a project like yours is the farest for everyone. No one wins or looses.

Matt

You may be wondering what is this guy doing at home in the middle of the day and posting later at nite? But I am home because I had a *%^%^&%^$ vasectomy done on friday. It was the worst 20

minutes of my life I think. Still hobbleing around. Its been horrible!!!!!

Hi Jer,

In my recently posted introduction I mentioned that I was a contractor from the london area. I would be able to give a hand via advice, but the logistics don't make any sense. I could help "walk" you

through something like that if you were interested in attempting it on your own? As far as finding a contractor, IMO your best bet is to try and find someone local who has done work for someone you

know. Make sure you ask them if they were happy and trusted them.You may also consider that you may have to wait for someone that has a good reputation, I am usually nervous of the people that

can "start next week" that generally should never happen if they are reputable. You would also be beneficial that if you have your tile, tub, flooring, paint colours picked before you start ripping out.

Some things may need ordering. Again IMO time and material for a project like yours is the farest for everyone. No one wins or looses.

Matt

You may be wondering what is this guy doing at home in the middle of the day and posting later at nite? But I am home because I had a *%^%^&%^$ vasectomy done on friday. It was the worst 20

So you waited 5 years for the snip??? lol

Hey Jer...Alan Anderson Carpentry in Bobcaygeon will be doing our bathroom if and when we ever save up the money (complete reno... walls, floor, ceiling, all new fixtures)...His nephew Mike (who used to be our next door neighbor) will then be doing the plumbing and fixtures (no tub, sit in stall)...

We expect to buy an inexpensive portable potty to use in the garage when the time comes...

My son in London Ont. will then be able to use it when he comes up to visit and fish as he is allergic to our cats and they are not allowed in the heated back room of the garage where he sleeps...

Edited by Beans

Hey Jer,

My uncle is a contractor with 20+ years of experience.

His name is Oreste Bruni...416-616-3650

He posted some pictures on a Facebook page a while ago, so you can check them out here:

https://www.facebook.com/QuattroRenovations

Might be a bit far for him for such a small job, but thanks for the reply. Looks like he does some nice work.

Hi Jer,

Matt

Thanks Matt, I think it's a job best left to the pros. I think I could manage, but I really need it done in a timely manor once started. A local contractor is definetely preferred. I plan to have most of the materials already on hand before any work begins, already have most of the tile, flooring, shower receptor all picked out.

Good luck with the jewels.

Hey Jer...Alan Anderson Carpentry in Bobcaygeon will be doing our bathroom if and when we ever save up the money (complete reno... walls, floor, ceiling, all new fixtures)...His nephew Mike (who used to be our next door neighbor) will then be doing the plumbing and fixtures (no tub, sit in stall)...

We expect to buy an inexpensive portable potty to use in the garage when the time comes...

My son in London Ont. will then be able to use it when he comes up to visit and fish as he is allergic to our cats and they are not allowed in the heated back room of the garage where he sleeps...

Thanks Beans, I may give him a call. Do you have any pics of his work?

Keep in mind ...if you increase the water flow for your shower via body wash jets youll need to upgrade the shower plumbing from 1 1/2 inch pipe to 2 inch discharge....food for thought just in case you are thinking of this..

IF your installing pot lighting inside the shower make sure it is a certified fixture for this application

Half walls with glass are very nice but rather expensive...do your homework on glass prices it can get expensive quickly ...shower rod and curtain will run you 30 bucks...a 28 inch glass door will run you 7-8 hundred

​i guess what im saying is ....KNOW what you want including the height of your toilet 15 inch or 20 inch to avoid any discrepancies in details while it all goes together....

Make a plan for accessing alternative shower and bathroom facilities since this is the only bathroom in your home....dont be surprised for a few days of no access while the tiles are going down on the floor.... realistically maybe a port a potty for a few days...

Good Luck with your reno and dont forget before/ during and after pics

Thanks Beans, I may give him a call. Do you have any pics of his work?

I don't have any pictures of his work other than the deck he built on Mike's house next door a few years ago...(it is still standing... :whistling: :whistling:)

Edited by Beans

Hey Jer

I did my own washroom (complete reno) a few years back and the one piece that will definitely be down for a few days to a week is your shower. Tiling, grouting and sealing can take a few days. The toilet can be removed and installed as needed. Check with some of the local plumbing or contracting supply outlets in the Peterbrough area, they could probably provide you with a few suggestions for contractors.

I recently had my bathroom renovated. Best advice I can give you to save money is start keeping an eye out for all the stuff you need now and keep an eye on sales. Follow the Rona, Lowe's and Home Depot flyer weekly and you will find everything you are looking for at a discounted price (assuming time is not of the essence). Buying everything at once will ensure you will spend the max.