Tow bar for ice hut - Input appreciated!

NAW

Anyone else got a better idea. Before i go buy steel, and springs?

IMG_0622_zpsd3449d8e.jpg

The spring section at the end is to that the little bravo can get moving a little (8" travel) before the weight of the hut loads up.

4" travel in the opposite direction to cushion the ride a little.

The idea is basically the exact same as my fishing partners. But I wanted some more input before I finalize the design.

Any input, (or pictures of your tow bars :whistling: ) would be greatly appreciated!

It's a permanent hut. The tow bar will be universal, to fit a utility sleigh that I am going to build in the summer. The hut is Built very light, and has UHMW sliders. The Bravo should pull it no problem, when the hut is empty.

Edited by N.A.W

I made one for my hut. It has a spring setup similar to what you have drawn. I like your idea of the second spring to cushion the ride. It would eliminate the occasional thump you get with a single spring. Before you buy any metal, see if you can scrounge some bed rails for the angle iron. I got some for another project at a new & used store.

20121208IceHutHitch008.jpg

20121208IceHutHitch011.jpg

20121208IceHutHitch002.jpg

Edited by IFH

NAW I have some valve springs you can have. I have made one for my portable, I made mine without the crossing of tubes which you really don't need because the mounting point acts as a brace. I put a crossmember where the tubing bends at the bottom. I used the valve springs as a shock absorber and threaded the shaft so I could fine tune the tension. Works really well and is very strong. Let me know if you need any help with the parts.

Rob C

Thanks Wayne! My rocket ship fish hut with aircraft aluminum tow bar and aircraft engine valve springs.... I'll have to paint some flames on the side...

Oh wait.. My tow vehicle is a single cylinder 250 bravo. This hut will never break 20km/hr on the ice!

Edited by N.A.W

Thanks for posting those picture IHF. I like that idea with the spring clasp for easy removal from your Two vehicle! I was wondering about what to do there. The last night I want to be doing is using two wrenches to loosen up jam nuts.. Thanks again everyone for the input!

Edited by N.A.W

I was digging through my shelves a couple hours ago looking for something else... but dawned on me that these bungee gear struts that I pull off every airplane I refurbish (I change them to chrome moly and die springs) just have "tow bar" written all over them for portables! Grabbed a set and milled the ends out to fit a cross shaft on the Clam. Tomorrow I make a tow plate to attach them to and to pin to the sled. A couple bungees on each strut and should work great.