Bass fishing in Cuba

Court R

I wish. I was down there a couple of years ago and went on a lake for a tour that used to host tournaments. They said they lost most of their bass when it flooded with salt water during a storm.

However, they have some further inland that are supposed to be great.

Went to Cuba last year and brought a cheapo zebco telescopic rod/reel. My intentions were to just catch some colorful fish that are plentiful. After a day or 2 of catching the saltwater equivalent of panfish I tried my hand at some bigger fish. My resort had a large weed bed ~60yards out and to the right of the beach so I used a storm crankbait that I brought...boy was I surprised.

Hooked into a barracuda, and it straightened out my cheap trebble. Next day saw a guy catching small baitfish with a hook and bread and was using them as live bait for the 'cudas. I tried it just to see, lets just say barracuda are easy to hook, but hard to land (especially in waste high water with a POS rod/reel and 8lb test).

Moral of the story, bring better gear next time and slay the 'cudas. I hooked into 3 in the trip and it becomes a spectacle for the beach goers....lets just say loosing the fish/line being cut not only disappoints you, but also the onlookers haha.

Never tried for bass though, that would have been fun and probably a bit easier to land on my crappy gear. Have fun and enjoy saltwater fishing, I know I did with what little time I put into it

There are tons of places where you can catch 10+lb bass in Cuba. Some locals claim to have caught 20+lb fish but most of these spots are not easily accessible. They call bass trucha (green trout) in Cuba, I have family in Cuba and I remember seeing good size fish in ponds and rivers near their house.

Research Hotel Hanabanilla, they offer guided tours on Lake Hanabanilla which has some good size fish.