Ice fishing question

dhickey

So I had a conversation today abuot what is (morally) propper?

Simcoe alows up to 4 single hooks per line.

So if a lure has 2 treble hooks are you still aloud to put 2 single hooks above the lure??

Or does this mean you can use 4 lures with trebles? that seems ridiculous....

If I rememember the regs say 4 single hooks but 1 lure with trebles is regarded as 1 hook?

???

Hook – A hook includes a single-pointed or multiple-pointed hook on a common shaft but does not include a snagger or spring gaff. The number of hooks includes any single-pointed or multiple-pointed hooks that are part of a lure.
Hooks and Lines – An angler may use only one line, unless otherwise stated in the regulations. Two lines may be used when angling from a boat in parts of the Great Lakes (see exceptions to the general regulations) and for ice fishing in many areas (see Ice Fishing, page 11). A fishing line must not have more than four hooks attached.

Im not trying to twist words here but.

The number hooks includes any single-pionted or multiple-pionted hooks that are part of a lure..

Does this mean that the lure is regarded as one hook no mater how many trebles are conected to the body of the lure?

?

Try it this way - 3 hooks in a gang (treble) count as 1 hook on an artificial bait. Baits may have no more than 4 hooks. IF there is no live bait then you can have up to 4 trebles (like a big Rapala musky bait for instance) BUT if you add a minnow (live or preserved) or other live bait then each "point" counts as 1 hook. Real life example is that you cannot add a minnow to the williams wabler ice jig - alone it has 3 hooks legally but add a minnow and it has seven, being the treble and two double side hooks (it's called the seven hook wonder in some circles). So, a four way spreader (four single hooks) is legal with 4 minnows. Anything more than that would exceed the four hook limit.

I heard a couple guys got popped last year for using minnows with the williams ice jig without removing any of the extra hooks.

Fun, ain't it?

Michael

so a pickeral rig with 4 single snell hooks, with a minnow on each hook is legal or not? lol

I'd say yes - it has a maximum of 4 "points" with live bait on, just like a four way spreader would. Might run the risk of tangling though! You'd have about 4 feet of stacked tackle down the hole - assuming you'd be joining 2 rigs together.

Michael

thanks terry, and the rigs i run are on tipups... 2' apart with a 6" leader for a splitshot on the end. so a 2 way rig with 6-10" of line on each side with a single snell hook on each. repeat 2 feet down the line and add minnows to each. i have had minimal tangles in even moderate current and have had a few double headers that way. i usually fish zone 18 so i believe.. that is legal ?

Without knowing the lake/river hauling and out the regs book or checking on line further myself I would only offer that it's a general regulation on the four hook rule. In every zone there are exceptions and additional opportunities in specific bodies of water (i.e. single barbless in certain areas, no live bait in others, extended seasons, altered limits etc. etc.). The best advice anyone can give is to read the general regs, zone regs and check the exceptions/additions for the waters you will be fishing. Forwarned is forarmed and all that other adage type drivel, and the law is the law, and "I didn't know" doesn't cut it (or shouldn't!)

Michael

It still doesnt ansure the question??

Ie.

If I have a lure that I want to use and it has 2 treble hooks than do I have to take one Treble off and replace it with a single hook?

If I want to tip it with a minnow?

Yup - that'd be four "points" once you've made the change. Don't change it and it would be six points, exceeding the four point rule.

Michael

I'll post the info once I find it this weekend like I said earlier, but if you want to experiment without getting into too much trouble, try walking into an MNR office with a minnow that has only two treble hooks in it and see what they say. It's kind of obtuse but I think it goes "three hooks in a gang count as one hook on an Artificial Bait" Meaning non-artificial (live) is the opposite, that three hooks in a gang count as three hooks. It's what I've followed my whole life, discussed with other anglers, have read and even discussed with CO's and always found to be true.

Michael

I don't think they totally removed it from the regs Terry, maybe not printing them in the Summary (it is only a summary of the entire act) you get at the license issuers perhaps. I want to read what I have then see what the actual legislation says and quote that when I find it. If I can't find it in my material I have an MNR source that can steer me to the appropriate area in the act (whatever it's called nowadays). I know the last time I did this I did find it was still good law, but that was a few years back. I'll report back when I have the direct quote from current governing law, probably early next week if I have to contact my source.

Michael

Why do you need so many hooks anyways? IMO, more then one hook (I,m talking a single barb,or barbless here,not lures/spoones) is all that is needed to fish.

:rofl2:

Ya and your tackle box has a couple hooks and sinkers along with a bobber?

:rofl2:

Hey hows it goin?

Edited by saltydawg

A treble hook counts as one hook.

A single point hook counts as one hook.

The presence of a minnow changes nothing.

So I can load up 4 lures on 1 line with as many trebles and minnows as I want?

Edited by saltydawg

Sinclair is correct.

A few years back the rules changed.

Now it makes no difference if there is a lure or not. Live or dead bait makes no difference.

Maximum of 4 hooks per line not matter if they are single hooks, double hooks or trebble hooks.