Wire leader

For smaller lures and smaller fish, I use 30 lb. Berkley or Mustad leaders. They are available at Canadian Tire, Wal-Mart, local tackle shops. For bigger lures and bigger fish, I like Stringease leaders in 65 lb. test. They are available at Bass Pro, are a little more expensive, but are better quality and have a snap that has a unique locking feature. I like black leaders, I read somewhere they are better than the shiny chrome/silver type leaders, but I really have no idea if this is true or not. Andy

Edited by Andy

Just my experiance with steel leaders? Go with quality ones, nothing worse than having a good fish lost because you cheaped out, and I have done it. The snaps and swivels on some are suspect also the crimps. I have had some Berkleys cross lock snaps opened, to light for the fish I hooked.

I haven`t used the Stringease leaders or snaps but they look like one of the best ideas. Not much point in using say like 65 or 80 pound test power pro and only using a leader rated for 30 or 40 pounds. Granted it will probably work in most cases, but why take the chance.

I've started using fluoro more and more for leaders and I always use mono or flouro "tippets" when using braided lines.

Pros: less visibility, more natural lure/bait movement, less kink-age.

Cons: more knots therefore more week links.

Your confidence will stem from familiarity.

Don't go cheap on a leader only to lose a $10, $20 or $30 lure.

Rob

I've started using fluoro more and more for leaders and I always use mono or flouro "tippets" when using braided lines.

Pros: less visibility, more natural lure/bait movement, less kink-age.

Cons: more knots therefore more week links.

Your confidence will stem from familiarity.

Don't go cheap on a leader only to lose a $10, $20 or $30 lure.

Rob

Thanks for the information...so do use swivels to tie the flouro leaders of just line to line???

For most situations I'll use a small swivel to join lines. The swivel helps lessen line twist and I have more confidence in my improved clinch knots than my blood knots or nail knots (and I can tie them faster and in poorer light). In most cases I use a leader or tippet of 3 or 4 feet long depending on the conditions and the right swivel will fit through the rod guides. I still like mono for main line, but I'm using braids more and more. I will also use a swivel to join mono to mono sometimes if I want a lighter line at the business end or have a high visibility line on the reel.

Another benefit of mono teamed with a braided is the shock absorbing ability of the mono.

Rob