Let's talk about the 2013 tournament

Leecher

Why not have separate categories for kids and/or shore anglers then? Different age groups, perhaps? It's not like a 6 year old is going to have a chance at out fishing Mike lol.

Maybe categories for ages 5 and under, 6-10, 11-14, then shore anglers in their own category (any fish caught from a boat counts towards the boat angler's category, regardless of who's boat it is).

In the old way, there wasn't categories to begin with... why add them to this?

That sounds like a lot of work.

Yep!

But the old way, a skilled angler could fish once a week and have a good shot at catching a large fish based on skill/knowledge. Meanwhile any guy who lives on a lake with multiple species could easily "beat" the other angler by simply taking a picture of any dink bass/perch/whatever he catches each day.

I'm not that great at fishing but under the total inches category I'd at least have a chance at staying competitive through luck, and it would inspire me to fish different species rather than just 2-3 kinds of fish. This way I wouldn't even bother trying because I know I wouldn't be on the water as much as other guys, I just don't have the schedule/opportunity for it.

I totally understand your point but put yourself in a kids place and catching dinky bass and perch and being able to submit them for points for any team, is a positive way to participate in an adult tournament.

So does taking a picture of EVERY species of fish caught EVERY time out lol.

Yep, one pic per species to get points

The only way I could see points working is if everyone gets 1 point per species caught period..... For the year.... Then the more species each person gets the more points they contribute to the team... So say 15 species... Each person can potentially add 15 points to their team score.... Then everyone's fish count for something.... And it encourages everyone to try new species.... It would be a bit of a combination of individual recognition with the team as well....

Good points Mike!

I guess I'm not up on the tournament rules.. It's total length for each fish species? So if I caught 2 15in perch, I'd submit 30inches of perch for my team?

That's insane.

Bill no, not lenght... if you caught 2 15in perch, only one would count for that day

I was under the impression that he wanted it to be 1 point per fish species caught each day. So if a person could catch a bass, perch and walleye every day they get 3 points every day. No way in hell I'd be able to keep up with that lol.

and why not?

There's no way I would take a picture with the sign and measurement for every fish I catch, I think we should just keep it too one fish total length per species.

Take the measurement out, not required and only one fish per species per day

In the old way, there wasn't categories to begin with... why add them to this?

Yep!

I totally understand your point but put yourself in a kids place and catching dinky bass and perch and being able to submit them for points for any team, is a positive way to participate in an adult tournament.

They can still participate if it's in inches, either way I doubt a kid wins it lol. That's why I suggested the different age groups, I realize that makes for extra work, but why not keep track of their fish/total inches throughout the year (like everyone else), then after it's over find out the ages of each young participant and the most total inches in that age group wins? That isn't THAT hard, certainly easier than taking a picture of every perch every day out on the water.

Biggest issue I have with this idea is that I'd have to take over 200 pictures with an ofc sign and submit them ALL....

Second.... By that system a 55" musky is worth the same as a 5" perch or a 10" bass....

All this system will show is who has the time to be submitting pics and info all year.... Someone can catch 1 little perch every day and register and get more points then someone who gets 100 nice bass every Saturday because its 1 point per species per day....

I like the idea of change and I think if we all put our heads together we can figure something out....

What would you think about each person is only aloud one entry per species based on inches?

In other words all team members will be motivated to catch the big one :thumbsup_anim:

Not the most fish.

Example would be that I can catch 50 bass on a good day and none of them are worth concideration on the one day I cant catch a minnow a 6-7 pound bass comes up?? Or I can go out on Simcoe and hammer 12-13 inch pertch at will(not fair to othes)

Not every one has the oppertunity to fish 100 days per year .

Thats not to say those that only fish 20-30 days dont know what their doing??

Inches work.

How about something like this:

Agree on a list of species. Not everyone will be necessarily close to all on the list, but limit it to fish that OFC members regularly post from Ontario waters. Obviously, as seasons open, the species become fair game.

Award points based on length measurements, with ruler/photos.

Award points weekly, same day every week all submissions are to be in by certain time. Keep score from Jan. 1 to Dec. 31.

Points go to biggest fish (longest), second biggest (fewer points obviously), and maybe something for third too.

This way, big fish catching prowess is rewarded, but so is multispecies, variety...but most of all consistency through the seasons and overall hardcoreness.

I'm assuming this would be an alternate to the main OFC tourney

Edited by DoubleDigits

They can still participate if it's in inches, either way I doubt a kid wins it lol. That's why I suggested the different age groups, I realize that makes for extra work, but why not keep track of their fish/total inches throughout the year (like everyone else), then after it's over find out the ages of each young participant and the most total inches in that age group wins? That isn't THAT hard, certainly easier than taking a picture of every perch every day out on the water.

Some good points here also but I'm trying to stay away from making categories cause those did not exist in the old tournament format. I don't see why this is a big deal... you go out fishing, catch pike, walleye, bass, catfish, sun fish, perch, take a pic with sign and submit it. Simple to me

I like the biggest fish per team, per category.. Add up the inches at the end of the year and you're golden. Someone who catches 3, 30 inch muskies shouldn't be getting more points then the guy who hauls in a 55in fish.

Looks like my idea of points is out the window... thought I'd make suggestions to a new format but for some it's too much to ask :wallbash:

Ah well I tried :)

TJunkie

I'm out

If you want a Team Event with more participation maybe go with biggest fish from each member in each category, it's more work but the members could keep the picture on their computer until the end of the month & send them in if each member covers more species your inches will add up pretty quick so a 10" Perch, a 14" Bass, 28" Pike, a 18" Rainbow, 12" Speckle, 16"Walleye, a 23" Carp & a 19" Catfish could add up, all ages Entries could help out,

Just My .02 Tight Lines SBK

PS: But I do like the way it is now tooGonefishing.gif

If you want a Team Event with more participation maybe go with biggest fish from each member in each category, it's more work but the members could keep the picture on their computer until the end of the month & send them in if each member covers more species your inches will add up pretty quick so a 10" Perch, a 14" Bass, 28" Pike, a 18" Rainbow, 12" Speckle, 16"Walleye, a 23" Carp & a 19" Catfish could add up, all ages Entries could help out,

Just My .02 Tight Lines SBK

PS: But I do like the way it is now tooGonefishing.gif

Richard,

I do get what you are getting at... but seems that for some, inches and biggest is the way to go. I have no problems with that. With the current format, if you don't get a bigger fish... well, mind as well quit and go with the flow & cheer for the team.

TJunkie

Richard,

I do get what you are getting at... but seems that for some, inches and biggest is the way to go. I have no problems with that. With the current format, if you don't get a bigger fish... well, mind as well quit and go with the flow & cheer for the team.

TJunkie

If you add Biggest fish by each member of the Team in each category all members could contribute

Tight Lines SBKGonefishing.gif

If you add Biggest fish by each member of the Team in each category all members could contribute

Tight Lines SBKGonefishing.gif

My original idea was, you get a point for each species of fish caught per day but like Mike Rousseau mentioned, we could do this on a monthly basis... every month members submit their pics and get a point for each species that have caught.... that way, you get the feeling that you belong and contribute to your team.

From my personal experience, not having a boat and being shore bound, this gives me the extra kick in the $$$$ to go out fishing.

It's hard for me to explain and may be I'm not getting my point out the way it should but I still think a tournament based on points will get more of us to participate / contribute to our individual teams.

TJunkie