Testing your fish finder

davey buoy

When checking your fish finder(settings and options) out of water, is it true it will burn out your transponder if the transponder is not submerged in a bucket of water?.I believe it's recommended,but is it necessary in your experience? Maybe it's just keeping it wet or submerged/why?. Thanks for any opinions.

it has to burn out and they do take a long time in most cases to over heat, I have left them on in my boat for a few days with no ill affects...

put it in a glass of water to be sure

Thanks Terry,so it is only a heat issue?if any at all. Will put it in water just in case.

Sometimes when pulling the boat out of the water and taking things out I notice the screen still on. One time after about a hour of driving time,still on.

Last time out noticed vertical lines on the screen while using.Not sure if it was interference or not.Need to hook it to a battery and test.

The unit is just a signal generator and a receiver both can survive testing out of water with no issues according to Lowrance. This does not give you an accurate test though since water signals are what it is designed for. I am sure that everyone has left their units on at some point towing the boat home with no damage. I also agree that replacing the transducer every few years as a good way to keep the signal strong and the reception at its highest level since the signal generator is a mechanical item. You can also put the unit in this instance into the simulator mode to see if it is the unit or the transducer causing the loss of screen bits.

Art

When checking your fish finder(settings and options) out of water, is it true it will burn out your transponder if the transponder is not submerged in a bucket of water?.I believe it's recommended,but is it necessary in your experience? Maybe it's just keeping it wet or submerged/why?. Thanks for any opinions.

I believe that most of these transducers can be used 'through the hull' if so desired. That would tend to indicate that it does not need to be submerged to work properly. I tend to doubt that it would indicate proper depth out of the water, however, as the signal travels at different rates through different media. It's probably not a big deal if only a few feet, so whatever testing you are planning would probably be fine.

Thanks Art,once I get it hooked to a battery I will use simulator mode and have it check itself out.

Oldschool I've heard inside and/or epoxied under the boat. Mine being portable came with a suction cup I quickly got rid of. Made a stainless shaft,stainless clamp,completely universal but always in the water. I will try to keep it in a small bucket of water while I'm testing it.

Sinker,worse comes to worse,I guess a new transponder may be needed. Thanks.