3D Taxidermy

capt_hooked

I Googled 3D Taxidermy... and stole the following link / discussion:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After watching this video of 3D printing in action, I can't help but wonder how this will change fish taxidermy. Scan a customer's fish and generate the perfect blank. Maybe a portable scan tool that anglers will carry with them to remote angling destinations enabling them to do a field scan of their trophy for later reproduction. Interesting technology is coming our way.

Here is the video:

I came across this article today. This will change how we shop and how we get our purchases. Interesting stuff.

“What gets me most excited,” says Bass, “is the idea that every person will soon have access to one of these 3-D printers, just like we have inkjet printers today. And once that happens, it will change everything. See something on Amazon you like? Instead of placing an order and waiting 24 hours for your FedEx package, just hit print and get it in minutes.”

Imagine how this is going to change the world. They are talking about ordering food/meals directly into you home (What the hell???)! Trucking. manufacturing, traditional brick and mortar stores will all be effected. The change is a coming. Imagine the possibilities. I'm so enthralled with this technology. Unreal.

:Gonefishing:

Ive used them, and no doubt....they are incredible for doing small prototyping jobs.

But they print using a composite material, with a binder to harden it. End result being a plastic type material.

You cant print a metal wrench, or an apple to eat lol

I think retail stores, the truckin industry and others are safe for a while

We use it all the time Kevin, but it's only used for proof of concept etc, before building a $60,000 injection mould to produce proper parts.

Thinking about getting myself scanned.... then Leslie can 3d print me and stand me in a corner..! :)

Also.. remember.. back in day... the "master plasters"? A couple of girls used to go around and make molds of all the famous muscians' "instruments" at the time. The Beatles, the Stones... whoever... rumour has it most all got themself molded in plaster... it was trendy..

But NOW... new twist... any Tom DICK or Harry can gett it done..!

Aw the possibliities are endless...

O.K... IF I boat that 60-incher this summer..........?!

:Gonefishing:

Ive used them, and no doubt....

All of the mechanical designers are chiming in!

Maybe in 50 years they will have an affordable scanner. But for now, if you want an portable battery powered hand scanner (accompanied by a powerful laptop computer to run it), you are likely looking in the $20,000 to $30,000 range.

http://www.qualitymag.com/articles/84339-competition-rising-in-portable-cmms

The printer it's self. One big enough to do a 60" musky mount, and make it look real. I guessing is going to be $100,000 +. You can get cheap ones from $500 to $3500. But they only print one colour of plastic, and are really grainy looking when done.

Amazing technology. I can't wait to see what they are like in 50 years!

Edited by N.A.W