Road trip

xrap

Me and my brother in law are planning on going up north for two days on the next long weekend for some pike. Where looking for a lake river or creek around the muskoka or parry sound area. Were not going to any resort, we jsut wana pitch out a tent somewhere or sleep in the car for two days. I did this a couple times with my dad in the summer but every place we found had no fish and we have no boat. This year I'm looking to plan it out a little better and find a place were we can fish and camp out for the night. Can anyone recommend a area around the muskoka or parry sound region where you can just pitch out and camp for a couple days. I'm not really looking for any specific fishing spots but just somewere where we can relax for the night and do some fishing. Because most places thier are private and where not to familar with the area. Any info would be greatly appreciated, Thanks

There is the 6 mile lake - Gibson - McRae Lake canoe route just off Hwy 400 that i used to camp at 20 years ago before it became an absolute zoo (free camping will do that). Pretty sure its Gibson Lake (right side of the highway as you head north, past the Georgian Bay Rd. exit) that you can walk to a few sites without even needing a canoe. Good luck on a holiday week-end though. Better get there Wednesday because come later in the week you won't find a parking spot for miles. If you go a little further north I've seen "squatters" where the Musquash River crosses the 400, but thes people are literally 50 feet from the highway whizzing past. Rent a canoe on the way north, it will open up endless options for you. Better yet, get a real campsite, rent a boat from a local resort and enjoy yourself. Well worth the money - no fear of getting your donkey booted for trespassing and you'll catch fish!

Hey thanks for the info rizzo. I beleive i heard of that lake before and drove past it. We got some reservations for the summer for a couple camp sites and will be renting a boat. But as for the long weekend where just looking to find a place to chuck some baits around. Not planning on renting a canoe although it would be alot easier to travel. Althought one time we did find a nice little river jsut somewhere before moon river and caught a few decent fish. It was quite a long time ago and I can't remeber the place. But anyways thanks for the info. I'll be sure to research those locations. B)

If you want an adventure, less traffic and sure shot for fish (pike) try the Goulais River just 20 minutes north of the Sault. You won't regret it.

And if you get "bored" you can find umpteen more rivers/small lakes/big lakes in the same vicinity.

I totally agree with the pike fishing and the availibility of other waters to fish in the area. Just a heads up most of the property on the goulais river is private land. You'd have a tough time camping close by. If youre up that way Id suggest echo bay theres a few campground right there and prime pike fishing from shore or cheap rental boats. luck with your trip

This thread reminded me of something I was wondering a few days back...if anybody had come across any kind of online index of crown land camping. Something like that would be invaluable to alot of people. If there isn't anything, maybe we could have a section on the board here that members could contribute to, as they discover them....Just a thought.

BB