steelhead/salmon rods

northernpike56

I broke off one tonight that had to be close to 6 or 8 pounds due to improper equipment (6'6M rod).

What are my options for a 'proper' rod? Ideally, I want something 8'6-10'6 that can handle anything from a steelhead to a salmon, and is able to drift roe in the creeks as well as cast spoons from the pier. It has to be a 2 piece rod as well.

If this 'ideal' rod does not actually exist, what would by my two best options for steelhead fishing/drifting roe, and salmon fishing/casting spoons?

Thanks,

Matt.

Edited by northernpike56

That's a lot to ask from a single rod.

"Float" rods are designed to allow for light leads, and pier chuckers aren't for the most part.

I'm not saying that the two are mutually exclusive, but if its at all in the budget you might consider two rods instead of one.

I have a stable of sticks, and probably could set you up with an entry level float rod for very cheap. PM me if you are interested.

Raven RV or IM 9 ..youll turn a salmon around and finesse a bow to the bank....Now heres the GREAT part....CANADIAN COMPANY and no Bullpaddys when it comes to warranty...they cover mis-fortunate circumstances... :blush:

Edited by Twocoda

Raven RV or IM 9 ..youll turn a salmon around and finesse a bow to the bank....Now heres the GREAT part....CANADIAN COMPANY and no Bullpaddys when it comes to warranty...they cover mis-fortunate circumstances... :blush:

I don't think he'll be chucking hardware with either of those :)

So... I went to SAIL today for the black friday sale, and bought a 10'6 medium power, moderate action, fenwick HMX. Thoughts on this rod? Good choice for drifting roe and casting lighter hardware? I think I'll buy a MH fast action rod this spring for casting heavier spoons for brown trout, such as a fenwick eagle or something, unless this rod I got already has the capabilities for casting heavier spoons for chinooks?

ive got the HMX 10 6 and the first one blew up on me in a matter of a few outings of being brand new...had an over the counter replacement and havent been able to hurt the rod in almost 9 years (i think)... i only use it for chucking hardware chinnies and bows...even the clackin raps @ 15 bucks a pop...so dont be scared to chuck heavier hardware...i run straight 10# test on mine for lures...the rod will tell you when you have to move your feet to chase down a fish...i worry about line....not the rod when fighting a heavy salmon....

Unfortunately finding one rod that is GREAT at all aspects of steelheading is all but impossible, since Shakespeare stopped making the Catera line of rods. The 11.5 ft model is perfect for drilling even the heaviest of spoons all night long. Then in the morning you can rig it for bottom bouncing or still fishing. As a float rod in moderate sized streams it is excellent.

The reason it can do all these things is a design feature I haven't seen on any other rod. All but the last 4 eyes on the rod are single foot which gives it incredible sensitivity, while the other eyes are double foot which give the rod incredible back bone and power to turn large fish. For incredible toughness and strength it is IM-8 but it weighs almost 3.5 ozs more than my 11.5 IM-8 Swan noodle rod (which is only good for float fishing). Another huge plus for the Catera is the short butt which doesn't get caught on clothing like many steelhead rods with long butts do. All for a rod that cost 69.95 I wish I had of bought more of them LOL.

Quantam makes a great 10.5 ft rod for float fishing small streams with a Michigan handle 55.00 at Angler Outfitters, and for chucking spoons and bottom bouncing/still fishing if you can find a shimano 10.5 ft convergence for around 65.00 with a michigan handle you should be able to cover just about any situation you mentioned.

If you are however hooked on Steelheading you better save some room in your storage area as your collection of rods will surely grow... I never go out without my Catera and one of my Swan rods along but I also have 5 no 6 other rods that I switch things up with from time to time LOL.