Fall Pike

Rich

The pike are voracious. My largest dead bait offerings are getting decimated by hammer handles like there's no tomorrow. Lures, same thing. The bigger - the more little pike it catches. What a weird fall. It's been going on two weeks. We've had ridiculous numbers but aside from a warm front 33" ... barely any even close to 30. It's been fun though. I know those big girls are primed and close by, come ice season..

We don't just deadbait by the way. One day I was slamming them on my ultra light throwing a 4" black/orange Storm Thunderstick. We've caught a few on spinnerbaits, one on a buzzbait, many on Rattle Traps, one on dropshot, a few on chatterbaits. My musky spinnerbaits and topwaters have interested only pike that are barely larger than them!

Anyway, here's some pics.. and open to any tips you may have to singling out the larger fish are appreciated.

IMAG0039.jpg

IMAG0034.jpg

IMAG0037.jpg

DSCF6832-1.jpg

DSCF6816-1.jpg

.. Ever since the Grand shut down that last one was the biggest. We are fishing waters where through the ice we catch about three in the high 40's between us every winter. Many in the low 30's usually. Never actually seen so many hammer handles.. but it's been happening at every little pike pit I know!

i have a pile of large baits for pike and i've tried them countless times and all i get is hammer handles the same size as the lures. i've caught lots of large pike in the 40s on #10 rapalas. my largest musky i got it on a fat rap. my largest walleye i got with a #8 rapala. largest speck on a 1/3oz little cleo. i've tried large lures and they never produce large fish. i've always found small lures catch larger fish. i dont know exactly why but i figure they get the feed bag on and go for lots of small easy meals then chill.