Muskie Casting with non-level wind

Raf

Anyone use a non-level wind reel for casting muskie lures? ie. Trinidad's, AVETs

How big a deal is the lack of one? Does the line pile-up in one corner? Truly a one trick pony, I will be using it strictly for big blades (10s and 13s). Any tips when it comes to spooling / retrieving / casting for least amount of headaches

thanks

Edited by Raf

I use a trinidad but not for musky casting...for the length of your typical musky casting distances, I don't think you need to worry about line bunching on the spool

spool it evenly to start with, don't overfill it too much and good to go...and then maybe every now and then you'll need to "thumb it" evenly on the spool again

It's on its way. Tranx is Right Hand only and $500. I am getting an AVET (only lefty in this class) for under 200.

When you get it post a review please. I have been thinking about going in that direction for my blade rod as well, but not sure if it would be better than the calcutta conquest 401 with a power handle that I currently use.

Dan Seavey,

IMO a calcutta casts miles better than a trini, noticeable difference, and your conquest/any calcutta is more comfortable to cast all day and has easy access to adjust vbs brakes...avet are great value reels, level drag, slightly different reel class than a trini and I htink most agree the trini casts better

i haven't fished a saltiga yet, but hear nothing but good things about them, strong, powerful and smooth

on the trinidad you have to literally lock down the star to get max drag, like lock down with force...smooth drag but not the strongest, you can upgrade to carbon pads but no experience with that myself

Thanks for your input bare foot wader.

We are casting 3-4oz+ baits so I am not too concerned with difficulting casting, the reel is mag braked so that should help with professional overruns.

The lever drag is something I am going have to get used to but by all accounts I hear it's a fairly simple transition.

Hopefully it gets here before ice-up. :)

Dan, I'll post my thoughts. Would it be better than a Calcutta 401? Propably not in every way with one exception, the effort req'd to bring those blades in quickly. I think this is a very niche application.

Edited by Raf

It's on its way. Tranx is Right Hand only and $500. I am getting an AVET (only lefty in this class) for under 200.

I casted with a Tranx for close to 8 hours and loved every cast! I am a natural lefty but have no issues with "big" right handed reels. Moving my left hand down for casting, up for retrieve, and back down for figure 8 is smooth. Haven't got a fish on the fig 8 yet but that may cause me some grief.

Currently I have a Curado 300 DSV and a Calcutta in 400 (with power handle).

Edited by Nipfisher

I casted with a Tranx for close to 8 hours and loved every cast! I am a natural lefty but have no issues with "big" right handed reels. Moving my left hand down for casting, up for retrieve, and back down for figure 8 is smooth. Haven't got a fish on the fig 8 yet but that may cause me some grief.

Currently I have a Curado 300 DSV and a Calcutta in 400 (with power handle).

I have the avet sx mc and it is really only a big blade reel IMO. It casts okay and runs a little rough but it is comfy, lefty and burns in big blades with ease! I recommend 100 pd braid to help avoid backlashes as 80 gave me probs and don't fill it full to allow for line piling up in places. Casts a little shorter than typical reels IMO. You will like the reel for blades. The lever is easy to get used to.

Landry