Never thought it was this easy - make your own jerky!

Fang

Was wandering through Princess Auto yesterday and stumbled upon a do it yourself jerky kit for $30. Had 2 bags of cure/spice mixes, a large jerky rack and the jerky gun with 2 nozzles.

I just got back my share of this years moose and there was a high amount of ground done this year so I thought what the heck lets give this a try as I've always wanted to do this but never got around to it.

Took out a pound of moose ground last night and got to it this afternoon. Very easy directions to add spice and cure (tablespoons per pound) and loaded the gun up. In just under an hour and a half this came out of the over (200C). That was about 4pm and as I compare to what's left in the bag beside me somehow a lot of it is already gone?

The kit and spices are from Hi Mountain and I'm already planning my next batch tomorrow night. Need to find the small casings to make pepperettes. Used the Pepper kit first and have a Mesquite kit for tomorrows try. In the recipe it says to add ice cold water to the ground when mixing but I substituted Hot Thai sauce so these ones do have a good kick

DSCF1400.jpg

Also ran across a recipe this afternoon on the web that was using ground salmon to do this. Might have to try that too.

MMM Mmmmm the Mrs makes jerky all the time, so much better being able to flavor it to our own desires. But not good when you have a deep freezer crap out while your away on 2 wk trip with over $500.oo in meat inside :whistling:. I now know how Dahmer's basement smelt:o. We've done pork, beef, moose and deer... all gooooood stuff. I do miss that freezer full of greatness though had loads of Moose brought from NFLD, a few full stuffed chickens, about 50 lbs of wings, a turkey, a few pork shoulders (Tash used to work with a major poultry supplier so it was real cheap but still sucks to lose so much tastiness)