Recurve or Compound Crossbow

GreenCanada

I've been doing a bunch of research lately on the types and models of crossbows available in Canada and want to get some opinions from the hunters here.

So a few questions;

What do you prefer and why, recurve or compound?

What models or brands do you prefer and why?

I would primarily use it for white-tailed deer, but would also like to be able to hunt moose. Also, cost is not a determining factor at the moment as I'm most interested in getting the information needed to make an informed decision.

So let's have at it!

What do you think?

:canadian:

I am not speaking from experience, but I have heard that recurve's are alot more dependable. Also, should you need to replace an old or damages string, its not as difficult as it would be on the compound. As for power and weight, I'm not sure which has the advantage.

Good luck.

Excalibur:

My bow is 15 years old and still looks and performs as new oh and since they are made in Ontario it was an easy decision for me.

if you go up to wolf's den you can try all the bows you like www.wolfsdensports.com/

Edited by krixxer

X3 on an excalibur re-curve cross bow.

I have shot a few compound cross bows, but for the dependibily, and simplicity of the design, I would go re-curve.

Also, for local companies, check these guys out. Personally never shot one, but I love buying local. I think most of their stuff is manufactured in the states, but they are a canadian company from Stayner Ontario.

http://maximuscrossbows.com/

I think they make both Compound and recurve crossbows, and offer a lifetime warranty.

Edited by N.A.W

X3 on an excalibur re-curve cross bow.

I have shot a few compound cross bows, but for the dependibily, and simplicity of the design, I would go re-curve.

Also, for local companies, check these guys out. Personally never shot one, but I love buying local. I think most of their stuff is manufactured in the states, but they are a canadian company from Stayner Ontario.

http://maximuscrossbows.com/

I think they make both Compound and recurve crossbows, and offer a lifetime warranty.

well, if you'd wanna go local...Excalibur are made in Kitchener ;)

get a compound...bow :P...a lot more silent and a lot nicer feeling, crossbow is like shooting a gun ;)

I agree, however, only if the compound user actually practices. It is too easy to make a bad shot with a compound IMO.

As for the crossbow question. Go recurve and preferably Canadian. Happy with my excalibur for 15 or so years now. Have it as a back up for my compound.

Edited by Harrison

another vote for excalibur. they're bigger and heavier than many compound crossbows, but the reliability and simplicity of a recurve is worth it. plus they're low maintenance, you don't need any tools to change a string, and the accuracy is awesome. to top it off, their customer service and warranty is exceptional.

i just finished replacing the original 4" vanes on my firebolts with some 2" blazers and will be testing them tomorrow. i've heard nothing but good reviews from others :thumbsup_anim:

I shoot an excalibur phoenix - its reasonably priced and packs plenty of punch. I shoot custom bolts w/ 150g excalibur boltcutter broadheads. For me theres no need for anything fancier. It kills deer

I had the bow out with me last night for a nice night on the stand.

When I pulled my bow out from the basement back before deer season, I waxed and installed the string, and hit a hockey puck sized bullseye with my first 2 shots from 20 and 40 yards.

I like that reliability.

I'm liking the info I'm seeing posted up here so far. It is reaffirming what I've read about the differences between the two. I'm definitely going to be going up the Wolf's Den to try some different ones out, since I've been there a few times before and like the store.

I think at this point I will have to be blown away by a compound to not get a recurve, or more specifically an Excaliber. I like the smaller size of the compounds since I may want to use it for stalking occasionally and it would be easier to travel with that while in the bush and is typically a bit lighter.

Since this would be my first time buying my own crossbow, I'm going to be trying out a number of different ones over the coming months before settling on a model that fits my hunting style.

I haven't shot a re-curve in years, but they are the ultimate challenge. My preference is a compound. I have zero interest in a crossbow because frankly they aren't much of a challenge to shoot, and as such, not that much fun. For whitetails any of the above would do, you just need to make sure your Ontario regulations relative to minimum lb requirements.

The question is, how much are you willing to practice to become proficient. If you like to shoot I would urge you to consider either a re-curve or compound, and it just depends on your personal preference. A re-curve is going to take longer to gain proficiency than a compound. A crossbow essentially requires the same skills as shooting a gun, not much of a learning curve at all. I know very few people, in fact I don't know any, that enjoy regularly shooting their crossbow. Basically you take it out of the box, zero it in and go hunting. I know a number that enjoy the challenges associated with either a re-curve or compound. If you want to be a traditionalist by all means buy a re-curve, if you enjoy shooting and also want a hunting machine perhaps a compound is right for you. If you have very little time or interest to practice then you want a crossbow.

If you consider a compound, you don't need to spend a huge amount of money to get an excellent shooting machine. I've been shooting Hoyt for years but, there are a number of $300 compounds on the market that compare very well with top of the line $1000 bows. Field and Stream just tested 4 $300 bows and one of the Bears got rave reviews. Perhaps you can find that review on their website. Also, here's a website that will provide you with a boatload of information relative to archery terminology and data.

BTW, if you go with a re-curve or compound, know your dominate eye before you invest. If you are left eye dominate you may want to start shooting left handed.

http://www.huntersfriend.com/bowselection.htm#Intro

finally, an update...

put the 2" blazers on the firebolts and upgraded to a flemish string. after tuning the lumizone scope at 20 yards i hit 1" dots at 20,30,40, and caught the edge of the dot at 50 yards. i was sitting and using a bipod and can't wait to try some grouping off the bench.

i guess that's one of the reasons why i chose a recurve :thumbsup_anim: