French river... No dice

Gnote

So i did 2.5 days on the french last weekend and came up empty i had one fish follow very sluggishly twice but wouldnt hit. I would like to say thanks for the help i was offered before i left and under different circumstances might have put one in the boat. The weather was mostly wind rain and cold but we kept at it for several hours a day. All the fish we marked were in at least 45 + feet of water and glued to the bottom. We cast, trolled and jigged to no avail. I believe the river may have recently turned over and made the bite tough. Time for some fall pike on simcoe if i can get my motor running. Thanks again guys tightlines.

The french is no different than a lake in many areas and does in fact "stratify" and "turn-over". In my experience the latter usually happens around thanksgiving up there.

2.5 days is sometimes just not enough time, esp when you're stuck with tough environmental conditions. What was the water temp?

Edited by Raf

Water was 53- 54 on the surface, i was unaware that rivers do not turn over but i was surprised at the sheer lack of bait or fish in less than 40 ft of water. Ive never fished the french before but im going to make damn sure i learn from the experiance

Areas with current don't turnover because they are constantly turning over. ;)

A system like the french has no shortage of slack water areas where the water will stratify in the spring and thus, turnover in the fall. THanks for the info, I am planning on fishing the river in the next couple of weeks when a window of decent weather opens.

Edited by Raf

Was also on the French, Wolseley Bay area last weekend, Fri - Sun. Fishing was great catching was tough. Water temp 52-53 degrees, cold front. Plenty of bait in the water, but I personally didn't see a fish. There was 3 caught all weekend a high 30's a mid 40's and a high 40's. Fished all the usual spots, saddles, points, humps, weeds, current. Threw everything but the tackle box at them. Sometimes that's just the way it is.

Edited by John

Sounds like you had a "normal" muskie fishing trip. If I catch one decent (>36") fish a trip I consider the trip a great success. This year, in three trips, I caught two such fish. I almost count follows and missed fish in defining a good trip. That's the way it is with this madness.

It does sound like your weather conditions limited your time on the water.

Not sure where you were, but I think, for the chance at a true giant, the French is a good place to be.

Edited by bigcreekdad

The really good walleye fishing on the French doesn't really start until November. My buddy (who lives there) doesn't even begin fishing until a week or two from now. I have vivid memories of slamming tons a nice fish while being very, VERY cold.

I'm not a muskie guy but a dock worker at my chum's marina is. By the time he starts fishing hard he's finished work for the year. He knows his fishing season is over the morning he tries to launch his boat but can't because the bay is frozen solid.