When will the Kawarthas turnover?

captpierre

I'd say the turnover should already have occurred by now. But I have not been there to see. The fish are certainly not in their summer haunts now. You should not fish your conventional areas. Try moving your bait in all areas and cover as much of the water column as you can.

We're talking generalities here because as we all know nothing is ever etched in stone when it comes to fishing.

But in general, once turnover happens and the weeds die off I find most of my best success in much deeper water.

Whether trolling the open water nothingness trying to pick off a roaming giant chasing down baitfish, trolling cranks or bottom bouncers and harness across deep clay or sand flats for walleye, or vertical jigging once the hog smallies start to stack up on the deep shoals...there is a common theme here.

Any kind of isolated rock structure adjacent to really deep water is usually a good bet after turnover if you're fishing shallower. The two keys here are "isolated" and "adjacent to deep water"...

That's really just the tip of the iceberg.

Usually the Kawarthas turnover sometime in last two weeks of October.

What Mike outlined above is the best.

On Pigeon Lake would always catch my largest walleye and musky over the next few weeks.

Trolling large diving body baits (Believer,Depth Raiders,etc...) for muskies near reefs or rock drop offs worked well.

Jigging Fin-s-fish with worms or minnows w/stinger hook near deepest water was good for walleyes.

Never could find the bass however but apparently they group together deep.

Go deep and dress warm!

Surface temp in Gannons Narrows was 54 on Tuesday, but has probably dropped again since then. Weeds are still very much alive. Have seen some muskie at all depths over the past 2 weeks. Don't ever try to figure them out, just go out there and pound the water.

From what I've heard, Rice Lake hasn't turned over just yet... I believe it typically happens around the 50 degree mark.

When it does... the fishing turns tough for a week or two, then it gets CRAZY!

Oh really - good thing I didn't go last weekend but I am playing this weekend. Eeeha.

We're talking generalities here because as we all know nothing is ever etched in stone when it comes to fishing.

But in general, once turnover happens and the weeds die off I find most of my best success in much deeper water.

Whether trolling the open water nothingness trying to pick off a roaming giant chasing down baitfish, trolling cranks or bottom bouncers and harness across deep clay or sand flats for walleye, or vertical jigging once the hog smallies start to stack up on the deep shoals...there is a common theme here.

Any kind of isolated rock structure adjacent to really deep water is usually a good bet after turnover if you're fishing shallower. The two keys here are "isolated" and "adjacent to deep water"...

That's really just the tip of the iceberg.

Nice tip - bookmarking!

Usually the Kawarthas turnover sometime in last two weeks of October.

What Mike outlined above is the best.

Right on, both of you.

Killer walleye and bass bite after turnover in the Kawarthas.

Find these two things and you are golden. Current and/or Hard Bottom.

Edited by Harrison