Sandhill Cranes

Travelled up hwy12 from Whitby to Orillia yesterday. Just north of Brechin I saw these birds out in a farmers field. Long legged like a flamingo., kinda drab in color. I have never seen them before. There was about 12-15 of them and they where there on the way home too.

I did some googling this morning and it looks like they where sandhill cranes. Just though I would throw this on here in case someone is traveling in that area anytime soon. Something rare to see if you have a road trip up there planned.

Edited by crappieperchhunter

Yep, sandhills. Pretty neat eh? I've seen them a few times while duck hunting as well. Out west, you can hunt them, and apparently they are really good eating. I'd love to try one!

Enough about the birds, how was the perchin?? :thumbsup_anim:

S.

Took this pic some years back while up the Cheepas River with Bren.

Old Report... http://ontariofishingcommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12010

fall-eyes9c.jpg

The Cheepas always had alot of Sandhills along it's river banks. Noisy bird... like a Blue Heron but just more vocal.

Not sure about eating them Shane??? The elders in Attawapiskat would, but the younger people... nope. They`d say "stringy" and that was coming from a family of boys with the last name Bird.

I have never seen them before untill this year , saw/heard three of them over my house in early summer (NW of Alliston) and they seemed to be fighting . I sure did hear them first , very loud and distictive sound . I also seen a pair mid summer about 30 miles NE of Parry Sound (Dunchurch area)