Heavier float rods

MJL

Hi guys. I’m currently in the market for a heavier float rod for bigger steelhead in bigger rivers. Planning to use 12-15lb Mainlines, 8-12lb leaders, 10-25gr floats and size 2/0 to 2 hooks. I have a few blanks on the short list but would be interested in some opinions before I bite the bullet. Although most of the heavier float rods I’ve built in the past for friends were on 7-8wt Sage spey blanks, unfortunately, $300-$450 for a blank is out of my budget for this build.

Short list of blanks under $200 I have in mind

- 13’ 7wt Forecast RX7 spey blank

- 11’3” Lamiglas (8-15lb)

- 11’6” Raven IM6 (6-12lb)

At the moment I’m torn between the 13’ 7wt Forecast blank and the 11’3” Lamiglas. I prefer the length of the Forecast and the fact that it is 4pc for easier transport, however the Lamiglas is essentially purpose built for what I’m hoping to do. Anyone ever use either of these rods? Are there other rods I should also be looking into?

Also appreciate it if someone could provide me with some contact info on purchasing a Forecast blank for a decent price here in Ontario.

Thanks

Mike

Edited by MJL

Thanks a lot guys. Really appreciate the feedback. After some thought on transportation and practicality, I probably will settle on the 13' 3pc XST. I plan to take the rod on its maiden voyage to a land where the steelhead average 10-13lbs (with 20lbs not uncommon and 30lbs very rare but definitely possible). I'm definitely excited :D

Cheers

It’s a 40+hr drive from the Geen...A jet boat and bear spray may be involved on this particular excursion :whistling:

Ask Bill to join you, he's got experience handling bears. :)

40 hours from the Geen? I've always wanted to fish the Skeena system.

There is no other viable destination for a steelheader.

Thanks a lot guys. Really appreciate the feedback. After some thought on transportation and practicality, I probably will settle on the 13' 3pc XST. I plan to take the rod on its maiden voyage to a land where the steelhead average 10-13lbs (with 20lbs not uncommon and 30lbs very rare but definitely possible). I'm definitely excited :D

Cheers

I haven't met a fish yet that couldn't be tamed with mine, just make sure you throw away every strand of lead you own and go buy something in the 8-10lb range. That pool cue blows up leads and snaps hooks like no tomorrow until you figure out which ones can take the abuse.

Should mention, if it is the Skeena you're fishing, especially out of a boat, you will be seriously undergunned with the XST. You'd definitely require a meaty spey conversion imo.

However if it's some of the smaller trib's later in the fall when the fish are all coloured up and not near as electric that rod will serve you well.

Should mention, if it is the Skeena you're fishing, especially out of a boat, you will be seriously undergunned with the XST. You'd definitely require a meaty spey conversion imo.

However if it's some of the smaller trib's later in the fall when the fish are all coloured up and not near as electric that rod will serve you well.

Good call Mike.

Batson also makes a variety of Spey blanks that can be had for an excellent price...

Mike,

Funny you mention the 11’6” Raven IM6.

I've had one for a number of years and it's by far my favourite big water rod for throwing hardware.

I spool a 3000 stradic with 20lb spide wire and double uni a length of 12lb fluro at the business end.

I had wicked fun with it throwing big spinners on the 'geen with solo last fall!!

cheers

HD

Edited by Highdrifter

I had wicked fun with it throwing big spinners on the 'geen with solo last fall!!

cheers

HD

Where you been hiding dude? I'm looking forward to doing that again with you.

I have a new spinning reel for tossing hardware this fall, a Pfleuger Patriarch 9540, can't wait. :)