Another Mounsberg question.

hotsky

I've been fishing there at dam side a number of times but wanted to try another part of the lake. Can you fish from the conservation area side?

Also, I know you cant walk on the tracks (even tho everyone I've seen there is doing it), but can I fish the small side of the lake (not from the tracks) or would that be illegal since I have to cross the tracks?

You can drive over there and use the parking stub from the dam side HOWEVER the water is extremely shallow from shore, even moreso this year. If you catch something it will be ity bity for sure. There is a dock but again super shallow. A better bet from shore is Valens, assuming there are actually fish there. It has sucked for the last 5 or so years.

I've been there only this year including today, it is pretty shallow but still fishable. Or did you mean it's even more so on the other side?

dont bother with the small side. it was choked up with weeds in June. I couldn't get one cast with any bait without coming up with a pile of salad, even weedless lures. Its only gotten lower and weedier.

Is it still complete drought? I was there 2 weeks ago and the water levels looked to be down almost 6 feet. There was nowhere in the reservoir my electric wasnt almost right on bottom the whole time. The fishing was okay, but that was a tough boating experience, and a launch i wouldnt do again without another foot of water.

CP owns the tracks and enforces the NO TRESPASSING (as it says on the signs). It is a fine of over $500 per person. Does not stop idiots from fishing there, some bring the kids to play on the very active tracks. It is a matter of time before some moron or his kids get splattered. It would be an good object lesson but no doubt some do gooder would call for a total ban on fishing the place when/if it happens.

Don't know why but I never caught anything with spinnerbaits...anywhere! I have a few of them and tried enough times. I've been using them same as spoons and spinners. What am I dong wrong?

I've had good luck with spoons, but last time crankbaits was the only thing that worked (but 90% of the time I was cleaning off weeds). Also had a pike hit a senko worm 5 feet from shore but it got off.

Don't know why but I never caught anything with spinnerbaits...anywhere! I have a few of them and tried enough times. I've been using them same as spoons and spinners. What am I dong wrong?

I've had good luck with spoons, but last time crankbaits was the only thing that worked (but 90% of the time I was cleaning off weeds). Also had a pike hit a senko worm 5 feet from shore but it got off.

I've never had anything on a spoon. Never had great luck for bass on spinnerbaits but I've caught a decent number of pike on them.

I think Rich would have been fishing from a boat. I have caught so many pike on my spinnerbaits there that a couple of them need new skirts. White has always been the ticket for me, but chartreuse works too esp if the water is murky. I would honestly just stick with spinnerbaits and weedless plastics this time of year at mountsberg. You really don't want to get a rapala stuck up in a 30 pound mess of weeds. In the summer weedless spoons (jawbreaker) can be lots of fun.