Hardwood floor re-finishing...

tonyb

Whew! finally found a house and bought it. It will have room to store the Lund!

Anyway, we would like to have the floors sanded/stained prior to moving in. I am looking for people who have had this done recently and had a good experience with the business that did the work.

Thanks in advance,

Tony

Hey tony,

Pretty ironic running into this post, I will be doing my own this weekend or next. Sorry, im not in your area so i wouldnt be able to comment on any local floor guys anyway. Just thought it was ironic.

Ive done them before and its fairly easy if ya wanna save a few bucks. Sure its a mess , and it takes some patience and a little skill, but definitely doable on your own if ya have any handyman skills :thumbsup_anim:

You can rent the sanders (orbital, or disc depending on how bad the floors are) If you want to just remove an old varnish, the orbital will do, if your boards have a curl to them, then the disc will take off enough material to flatten them again. Need some skill with the disc sander as it takes off a good layer, and you can screw things up if you stay over one spot too long lol. Anyway, finishing the floor isnt too bad either. Anyway......if you do get motivated, Id look into it. Although, just buying the house, Im sure you dont have time for a job like this one with everything else a new home brings on.

Hey tony

Had mine done last year by a couple of newfies

Rainbow I believe was the company

800.00 cash they sanded all the floors upstairs (white Oak)

and the stairs.

They were in and out in 6 hours

I have gone the rent a sander route if your a newb you dont want to do this let guys that doit all the time handle it they will fill any rough spots and have it totally ready for finishing

I finish my own floors VARATHANE DIAMOND COAT(water Base) 3 teenagers a dog and a redneck with boots stuff is bullet proof

You need a weekend kick everyone out of the house buy lots of tack cloths and a good shop vac with a fresh filter go over the whole floor with the shop vac after your done hands and knees and mac tac the whole floor

plan your route carefully I used a lambs wool aplicator and changed it after every layer first layer lay down realtivly tick nice and even youll know as your putting it down. can said 4 hours dry time till next coat go 6 to 8

now get some very fine sand paper i think i used 800 go over the whole floor dont push hard just enough to rough it up mac tac it again lightly soak a cloth in turpentine and go over the whole floor for any dust

lay down the next coat in the opposite direction and repeat the first process for the third coat give it a medium thick layer and let it sit unmolested and walked on for 24 hrs you will need a weekend to do this oh yeah shut of the furnace

i went with a clear and ended up with a beautiful honey look

Paitence its easier then you think just leave the sanding to someone else

Peter

Edited by BITEME

Tony,

I'm not sure if they do re-finishing, but my parents had Azore's hardwood floors do new flooring in their house last summer. They did a real nice job and the guy at the house was a real nice guy. They are local to Oakville... you see their vans all over town. My parents are getting the rest of the house done this summer by them.

Ryan