smoking fish that was in freezer

skinny

I almost always freeze my fish for a later date to smoke.......

Defrost fish on counter or even just put it in the brine if you want to smoke it the next day....but then leave it in the brine on the counter to defrost for a few hours then place it in the frig overnight....

Here's the best and easiest brine I have found........

1 gallon of water

1/4 cup of Kosher Salt

1 cup of brown sugar

(This can be adjusted for a smaller or larger amount of fish)

Mix well and place the fish in brine to soak until the next day when your ready to smoke.....then take fish out of the brine and a VERY QUICK rinse with cold water.....now place on paper towels and more paper towels on the top of the fish and dab the fillets/fish dry....smoke until done.......usually 3-5 hours for me.

Edited by Billy Bob

I almost always freeze my fish for a later date to smoke.......

Defrost fish on counter or even just put it in the brine if you want to smoke it the next day....but then leave it in the brine on the counter to defrost for a few hours then place it in the frig overnight....

Here's the best and easiest brine I have found........

1 gallon of water

1/4 cup of Kosher Salt

1 cup of brown sugar

(This can be adjusted for a smaller or larger amount of fish)

Mix well and place the fish in brine to soak until the next day when your ready to smoke.....then take fish out of the brine and a VERY QUICK rinse with cold water.....now place on paper towels and more paper towels on the top of the fish and dab the fillets/fish dry....smoke until done.......usually 3-5 hours for me.

I never rinse my fish after brining, I put them on a rack, dab them with paper towels and then let them dry until the pellicle forms. The pellicle gives the smoke something to stick to. IMO it's the most important step when smoking fish :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by kuha

I never rinse my fish after brining, I put them on a rack, dab them with paper towels and then let them dry until the pellicle forms. The pellicle gives the smoke something to stick to. IMO it's the most important step when smoking fish :thumbsup_anim:

allowing the pellicle to form is important for both flavor and preventing fat/juice from oozing out of the fish while smoking. the fillet will look and taste better this way :thumbsup_anim: