Beginning Musky Fishing

northernpike56

I'm going to Bobcaygeon this weekend from Saturday to Monday, and want to try to catch my first musky there this year. I have heard the Kawartha lakes (especially Pigeon) are a great place to start. I'm not looking for a huge 50 incher, more like something around 3 ft.

My rod and tackle are as follows:

8'0 H spinning combo spooled with 30 lb Sufix 832

100 lb fluorocarbon leaders

6" grandma

10" jake

2x mepps bucktail spinner

musky sized spinnerbait

all the proper release tools (hook cutters, 10" needlenose pliers, rubber coated landing net, etc.)

If theres anything else you think I need, please leave a reply.

758479a1.jpg

5b569d7e.jpg

Are there any specific spots on Pigeon Lake where one would have a 'good' chance of catching a smaller sized musky? If you'd feel better, shoot me a PM. I purchased an Adventure Fishing Map of the lake, while not the greatest, it does give me a general idea of the location of most major structural points on the lake.

Are there any 'special' artificials that seem to produce well on Pigeon?

If you don't know the lake, or don't want to give up any spots, could you at lease give me some ideas of where to start looking for them? I've heard they like pencil reeds and weedlines, so I will look for those and cast my bucktails to them.

Anyhow, even if I don't catch any muskie, I will still have a lot of fun catching bass and perch.

Thanks,

Matt.

Edited by northernpike56

Try around the gannon narrows bridge and around big island in 8 to 10 feet of water. The baits look good but the rod and line are a bit on the weka side.Your set up will handle the 30 to 38 inch class but if you catch a 40 plus fish, you will have a fight on your hands.

i would suggest getting some 65 lb braid. Yes, you can catch Musky on 30 lb, but it wont stand up to the abuse of bigger lures, or bigger fish.

Spinnerbaits are a great choice when looking for active fish. If they arent responding, then try the grandma with a " twitching" retrieve.

Trolling the Jake is an option as well. Find the structure on your map, and troll around it. Buying a bulldawg or other soft plastics would be a good idea as well. ( medium size dawg for that combo)

There is no way to control what size Musky you might catch... Although on average, the southern half holds smaller skis ( and pencil weeds)

Most importantly, if you want to catch one, put in the time. First one is the hardest, but stick it out.

Good luck

I also think you are light on the tackle, It would be fine for walleye which there are also lots in Pigeon but having said that it is not uncommon to have a musky take a walleye on the way in. Great fun.... not much left of the walleye after that though.

You can't target a specific size. Even small skis will whack big baits, and big ones will take small baits.

There are more in the 30-38 range simply due to age.

Good luck... If you hook up it'll turn into an ob$e$ion!!!

I haven't even caught one yet and am getting into the addiction! Still need a good sized net and boat though!

I'm thinking,a 12" steel leader and use your drag.Don't fight it hard.You'll get it in. Many people have fished for bass with less than you have, and still brought it in.Patience is what you'll need. Good luck.

Oh by the way my late grandma on deer lake caught a 45" musky on 8lb mono years ago with a spin cast reel. Not recommended ,but she got it in with a little help.:whistling:

Fished around the northeast side Big Island for 30 yrs.

Have caught mostly 32-38 inch fish, some up to 45 inch.

Huge fish aren't abundant there since perch and walleye don't fatten them up.

Spinnerbaits and bucktails work best.

You want to avoid a long drawn out fight, or you run the risk of killing the fish.

Heavier braid, clamp down your drag, and yank'er in if you get one.

Peeling drag and long runs is not a good way to compensate for lighter gear.

That's the new way of thinking. Still many catch them by accident,and I'm sure they would survive with proper release care!

Not trying to say I do... Give fluoro a try next time you go it for pike, you might be pleasantly surprised. :)

I may, every weekend I fish for pike and bass. Never use a leader just 8/30 pp with a swivel clasp and out of approximately 35 pike,haven't lost one spinner bait or lure. Luck probably. Musky on the other hand a little more toothy. That's why I suggested a leader. Fluro? maybe. NP.

That's the new way of thinking. Still many catch them by accident,and I'm sure they would survive with proper release care!

Water temps are still warm, and a drawn out fight would more than likely kill the fish... especially with a newbie who doesnt have the practice in releasing them quickly. Yes, they can be caught on light tackle, but its a bad idea. If you catch them on light tackle while targeting other species, then not much you can do but your best to release them quickly. Just because they slowly swim off doesnt mean they wont be dead within 24 hrs.... Delayed mortality....happens more than we think.

Need to pick up some 6lb fluro for my river fishing. Will be my first time using it. Do you think 100lb is a little heavy for musky?. Does diameter play into their sight?

I use 150# mono leaders, I don't think they care. I've even caught bass on that setup. I mean, the lures have huge hooks dangling off them, and that doesn't seem to deter the fish from striking at all.

How far off the shore of Big Island should I be trolling? 30 ft? and would the little bobcaygeon river mouth also be a good place to fish for musky? I caught a lot of bass and panfish there, so there could be musky lurking around there?

Most arent gonna give you the exact fish locations.... Big island is huge, so focus on the structures closest to the island. A little mapwork will point you towards the best locations

Most arent gonna give you the exact fish locations.... Big island is huge, so focus on the structures closest to the island. A little mapwork will point you towards the best locations

Fair enough, thanks for the tip. I've been looking at my map for a few mins and have a couple ideas of where to try on the western side.. I'm not going to go into the back channel at all, way too many hazards.