Any map options for Lowrance?

Bernie

I have a GPS, fish finder combination Lowrance machine.

Lowrance maps suck big time. Have the so called "Platinum" map on it now.

A complete large island is missing on the map only a kilometer away from my cottage.

So I can't trust what I see on the screen.

I'd like to be able to put the map like the one that my handheld Garmin has on it.

Any possibilities?

Its funny you mention that Bernie. I was in the South Bay just last weekend with the identical map/chip as you and notice the same Island missing. From my experiences, they are USUALLY fairly acurate. However, rocks, shoals and such, are off by as little as a 1 meter up to 10-12 meters. But definitly make you aware that they're around. Of course, not meant for navigational purposes...

As far as I know, it is the best chip for these systems.

Also make sure to update your chip every once in a while, maybe that island will magically appear lol

i have the navionics chips both hot maps and platinum+ all kinds of detail, pretty sure i have nippising on one of them i can check it for detail if you like

Thank you Ernie.

I have checked with several other Lowrance users and they are all the same.

Check these guys out Bernie, Robert might have a solution for you.

GPS Babel

Thanks Will.

I'll check that out tonight.

Trakmapsmakes a marine map set for Lowrance (and Garmin). I have an older version of it for my Garmin handheld because it contained lakes I didn't have. Not going to say it's better though because that depends on the specific map.

If they have the Nipissing chart loaded in, that may be what I am looking for.

No actual display on their site. Says to call for info.

Thanks!!!

Edited by Bernie

I have the trak maps inner lakes for my garmin handheld. If you post the coordinates of the missing island I can check to see if it is shown on trak maps. If it is I will try to take a screen shot and psot what it looks like.

I have not compared the 2 side by side that is why I would like the location of the island that does not show up. This way I can bring the area up in mapsource and see the differences. I got the trak marine version for smaller lakes and lakes in Quebec. I have a friend who has a cottage in Northern Quebec not to far from New Liskeard. I have the garmin bluechart, trak marine and I can power up my Lowrance to see the difference. Send me a pm or post coordinates of something that does not show up on the Lowrance map and I will look it up and see if I can post the picture for you to see.

Mark

Not sure about on the Lowrance since it is out in the garage, but on mapsource for my Garmin I can change the level of detail that is shown on the screen. I will look at this in the morning to see if there is a similar feature on Lowrance. Might explain why the island doesn't show up.

Thank you for the help fellows.

I have level of detail set to high.

My chip is a few years old but have seen the latest on other machines and is still the same.

I want to put the same chart on mine as I have on the Garmin.

May end up getting a Garmin instead. :wallbash:

OK. Here is what I have come up with to show the difference between Trak Marine v7 and Garmin Bluechart v9.5. The 2 pictures are of southbay since it is in your name. The top photo is by TrakMarine and the bottom one is from Bluechart. Detail was set to highest possible for both charts. I have not been able to find anywhere that says the Trak Marine maps will work on Lowrance products. They are compatible with Garmin though. I hope this helps you out.

TM7SouthBay.jpg

BC95SouthBay.jpg

I have not been able to find anywhere that says the Trak Marine maps will work on Lowrance products. They are compatible with Garmin though. I hope this helps you out.

The link in my previous reply is to the TrakMap Marine v8 for Lowrance. Make sure it's compatible with your exact unit though.