Servicing your power trim unit

Big Cliff

:thumbsup_anim:

Well, it took me two days but I finally figured out how and (how not) to do it and got it working. Seems like my problem with the power trim is fixed.

PS.

DO NOT fill with the motor tilted up, this will over fill the unit and create a lot of pressure when you lower the motor. If you then remove the fill plug with the motor in the down position, you will have oil in your hair (and just about everywhere else).

Also, DO NOT remove the release valve to drain the unit, if you do, you will probably loose a very small seal that fits in the very back of the release valve housing and without that seal, the power trim will not work at all. Once you find that tiny seal in the bottom of a pail of drained oil and floor sweepings the easiest way to re insatll it is by using a ball point pen to get it back into the valve base and a piece of weed eater cord to push it off of the pen and into the very back where it has to sit until you can replace the rest of the valve assy.

Good to hear you got everything fixed up Cliff, even though it sounds like it turned out to be a rather messy job or you :oops: .

My Merc actually has a warning label right beside the fill plug that tells you to leave the motor in the down position for servicing the fluid levels on the trim pump.

hahahahahaha There's something "Tim Allen(y)" about that description of events, Cliff. Argh, argh...hope you didn't oversize the cylinder...she'll BLOW! Good on ya for getting'er done.

just wondering if there is a certain time this should be done or is it only done when it isn't quite working properly any help would be appreciated. I bought a boat last year and have no idea when the last time the trim fluid was changed? It works fine now but...Bigcliff or anybody else some help would be awesome ....CHEERS!

Edited by BLACKFISH88

If it ain't broke don't touch it !!!!!!

Actually there is very little that can go wrong with them, a fluid leak, but it will start acting up before it fails. and the pump, nothing there to service. (Inspect the wiring and make sure it is in good shape).

My boat and motor are almost 20 years old so you have to expect a few little things to go wrong. In my case the problem was compounded by my lack of experience and the fact that I couldn't find anyone around here who knew anything about the Zuzuki.