Hummingbird watch fishfinder

hotsky

I was looking thru a catalog and saw a Hummingbird SmartCast RF35 watch fish finder. Where you cast a bobber sensor that looks like a trigger lock. and signal is transmitted to a watch fish finder (up to about 20m). It can be used as a bobber but only supports ~5.5gr of weight. I thought it would be perfect from shore fishing and when I'm fishing from my inflatable to see how deep I am, bottom structure and of course if any fish are underneath. Reviews online are rather mixed tho, so I was hoping to hear from people here who used them. It's about $80; is it worth it?

Edited by Gray_Wolf

I did a review on one here once...its good if you are a shore angler for depth and structure. It does detect fish as I tested it in a shallow area where I could see a fish...but its obviously not as good as a real unit. I had it on its own rod...with heavy braid so there no chance of losing it. I used it for a short period...as once I found good shore spots close to home there was no need for it any longer. If I had a canoe or inflatable I likely would have used it more. I'd rate it a 6 or 7 out of 10.

spend a few bucks more for a portable for the inflatable....try to find one used..
are you talking about the one where you point the 'beam' to scan the area you want to fish at? I don't know a lot about sonars, but I want to have as few things on my boat as possible. and thought the wrist one would give me a lot more info than I can see for myself (like depth). I'm more concerned about how long it's gong to last. I probably wouldn't even use the rod for the sensor. just have it attached to a boat so it floats a foot away from it. Edited by Gray_Wolf