Circut brakers, which one to get?

hotsky

Last week I got an inflatable Sevylor Fish Hunter FH280 boat, 30lb Minn Kotta motor, battery, charger. Made my own motor mount for $35-40 (couldn't justify spending $100 for one Sevylor sells), even made a floor and covered it with a rubber matt. Just when I thought my boat set up was done I found out I should get a circuit breaker to protect the motor. I still took it out today and had a blast fishing and just cruising around :thumbsup_anim:, but don't want to risk it again...

In the manual it says to use 60 amp breaker, what are you guys using? and how much did you pay for them? I'm already over budget on this project so don't want to spend too much. Too may other priorities right now. (according to fiance lol)

Also I noticed that the minn kotta wires are too short to run the cables to the front of the boat, where I originally wanted to put the battery (to spread out the weight and make it less 'stern' heavy). Is there a way to get an extension?

I don't worry about a breaker on my transom mounted TM that I use on my inflatables. If it were on my big boat (where the batteries are in a compartment) I would.

The battery is going to be sitting right beside you and there really shouldn't be an issue.

If you really want to put one in and save money just buy yourself one of these from Napa as they are under $10.

Product Description

Line code BKP

Part number 7823001

Description Circuit Breaker

Attribute Amp:50 Amp,Terminal Style:Threaded Stud,Product Features:(2) 10-32 Threaded Studs & Crosswise Bracket, Type I, Auto Resets After Tripping,Voltage:12 Volt DC,Mounting Bracket:Yes

218002.jpg

The 50 drifter showed is perfect, it will trip if it draws too much but that would only happen running in heavy weed putting too much load on the tm, it can save you from melting wires though or even a fire if you have a bad nose and were not paying attention :)