Nipissing Walleye fishery in 'crisis': OFAH

kickingfrog

I personally have seen nothing but bad, in any freshwater lake being commercially fished for anything but panfish. Maybe they could focus on perch to supplement their quotas, instead of walleye, if only just for a few years. Perch fillets average $2/lb more at the grocery store i work at, and a far more plentiful. Leave the walleye for the great lakes netters!

Just shrink the size of the holes in the nets and then there won't be anything left. Nets are for hockey, soccer, etc. It would be cheaper to just throw more bad money out there with no nets allowed. At least then there would be no more nets full of rotting fish at all.

I don't care about the Walleye....as long as the pickerel are safe :tease:

But seriously,

I'm no expert and I'm not claiming to be but I just have a hard time beleiving recreational fishing takes more then a gil netting operation :dunno:

Slot sizes, or lower limits would help lower the angling damage...thats a given

But what do you do with a Native community not willing to follow a quota recomended by the MNR???

I think there is a lot of bullheaded opinions thinking more about $$$ then the health of the fishery and sustainability.

My $0.02

Likewise Drew. There's probably been hundreds of Nipissing reports posted here, and not one has me thinking that I should put it on my bucket list. In fact, there's a river a few hundreds yards from my house that would blow away the Walleye fishing on Nipissing, from what I've seen. It seems to be a party place to meet up and have fun. Nothing wrong with that though. Parties are always fun.

I have fished Nipissing for about 20 years. The fishing was better 20 years ago but has not "crashed". The ice fishing for walleye was much better then it has been recently but as Rod Caster points out the perch fishing is getting better.

There are still plenty of walleye to be caught and 35 fish days are still possible. I read a report on another site where 2 people caught 132 walleye in one week.

I have fished Nipissing for about 20 years. The fishing was better 20 years ago but has not "crashed". The ice fishing for walleye was much better then it has been recently but as Rod Caster points out the perch fishing is getting better.

There are still plenty of walleye to be caught and 35 fish days are still possible. I read a report on another site where 2 people caught 132 walleye in one week.

Ah, anecdotal evidence, the natives themselves admit the cant fill their own quota with a gill net, but yet a couple guys get lucky and it must be ok.

Edited by blarg

Nipfisher, I replied to your PM on the other site with the info you requested.....check your inbox.

Ah, anecdotal evidence, the natives themselves admit the cant fill their own quota with a gill net, but yet a couple guys get lucky and it must be ok.

Verus anecdotal evidence that some guys can't catch walleye like the good old days?

Something some people know about the good old days, they're never as good as you think they were.

Verus anecdotal evidence that some guys can't catch walleye like the good old days?

Something some people know about the good old days, they're never as good as you think they were.

Yep.........I Guess with all the electronics and much more knowledge, today's anglers don't know how to catch fish like they did back in the 50's, 60's and 70's....... :rolleyes: .....can't understand why there are slot limits now and not back then....... :whistling: