Roof Rack Questions

I just bought my very first boat...small aluminum, 12.5 foot, great condition. The purpose of the boat is for some back country fishing outings and put a small motor with internal gas tank on it.

With that being the purpose, I want to pop it on to the top of my car, however the widest part of the boat is about a foot and a half wider than the roof.

Have any of you guys tinkered with creating a wider roof rack that could hold the boat? I've thought of using two 2x4's to support the boat on the roof (one front and one back) and just strapping the boat down with ratchet straps to the underside of the car. But not being the most handy individual, I don't know if this would work, if it would hold the weight, if it would slide around etc.

I've looked online and found very little information/instructions for this contraption but I've seen it numerous times on highways and roads where individuals transport small tinnies on the roof.

Any help would be great!

yeah that should work fine

you could scratch/dent the roof

best to get good roof racks and make a wooden mount tied to the boat that would sit on the racks

the tie boat to racks and bumpers or front/back hooks is your car has them

buy a sey at your local CTC or princess auto and make a wood platform to make it 3" wider per side for the boat. this way you have 'wiggle room' for the boat while you secure it.

I recall many years ago you could buy the suction cup roof rack mounts and all you added was a cut to fit 2x4 and then off you went. do they still have those for sale? if so, it could be your best bet.

I've always gone with Thule racks for all the trucks and cars I've driven. Not the cheapest option out there but for peace of mind, nothing beats a properly secured boat while cruising at highway speeds. Put a ski box on top and you have extra, lockable storage.

CT has Sportrac which is similar and a bit more affordable.

In the end, I look at the price of my canoes etc and figure they're worth the $300 or so it would cost to get a good rack system.

also bear in mind, and I'm not absolutely positive about this, but your bars can't protrude beyond your side mirrors.

I vote for Thule.

the crossbars are available in different lengths (48" 50" and 60" IIRC).

Keep in mind though, the widest part of the canoe is not necessarily where the canoe will be resting on the bars, as it flares out and tapers in

Also - what is the weight of this boat?

I'm sure a proper rack can hold and support the load, but (Now, I don't mean to insult you by any means) will you be able to left it that high?

You may want to look into a hitch and trailer

edit - I would look into a hitch & trailer especially if you're looking into getting a gas motor

Edited by Old Skool newbie