Beagle Breeder

huntervasili

Hey all just wondering if anyone knew of a good breeder for these guys in S. ontario... Just wanna get one to do some rabbit hunting with...A reputable breeder who will make sure it gets all shots prior to purchase... anyone have a good experince? Please post on here or Pm me with some contact info... Thanks

Bill

There was a guy between Oshawa and Port Perry that bred beagles. Advertises in the Star (or he did at the time). I got my hound from him about 10 years ago and while he's never going to win any dog shows, if I did hunt him, he'd be a SUPERSTAR.

Killer stamina. Has lots of fun in the field, loves to chase. He over 10 now and its still a challenge just keeping him exercised. In his heyday, he could do eight or more good hours of running, swimming and fetch with no problem. We would force him inside for worries that his heart would give out.

You can get a magazine at the grocery store or usually any pet store will have this book. It's called the Dogs in Canada Anual. It has just about every breed of registered dog available and also lists reputable breeders anywhere in Canada. As for the shots, most breeders won't let the pups go until 7-8 weeks of age and they should have their first set of shots. There are still another set of shots as the pup gets older such as distemper, piro virus and also rabies which are a yearly injection.

Rays Beagles

13 inch size

781 Regional Road 21

2.5 km west of Manchester (just West on Borck RD and 7 - Port Perry)

905 985 9939

used to be able to find some contact info on the web but now he's more word of mouth. He sells pure hunting dogs

Malcolm (on this board) and I bought last year. Great dogs but defintely higher maintenance than a regular house pet.

Very reasonably priced compared to some of the other breeders I looked at last year. Mines on the left - male with big lungs. Hasn't shut up but who doesn't love the sound of a beagle!!

copper3.jpg

Malcolm hunted his last year for deer and it did fantastic. This year mine goes too.

close up of my buddy. Tricolor with nice head markings. Malcolms is a female all black and white with 1 blue eye. If he didn't pick her I would have

copperoct.jpg

Thanks Guys... I will give a couple of these guys a call... I like the tri coloured beagles for some reason, just personal preference...By high maintainence you mean excercise and stuff? As I do have another dog too... As for the loudmouth thing.... I have a family member whou has one and seems surprisingly quiet any reason why? maybe just shes a female hes a male ;)

Mine is much higher maintenance than Malcolms. It's all in the personality. When I went to pick mine out, he opened the pen and this guy shot out almost knocked me over and then dove into a garbage can of food. I just couldn't say no.

Rays has a very good mix of tricolors but if he has any check out his red/brown mixes They are very nice. I originally wanted a red but changed my mind when I got up there.

Good luck and if you go to Rays don't howl at the dogs. He has an outside pen where the adults run around and they'll start at once. Drives his neighbour nuts!!

Malcolm did it once. It was hilarious!

I wish I could post a picture right now. He's laying beside me on the couch dreaming. Feet are going and he's barking in his sleep. Must be catching rabbits!!

Edited by Fang

I checked out the guy near Port Perry a few years ago, nice looking dogs, told me they were pure breeds but when I started asking for papers and pedigrees he started making excuses about how it would cost more and such. That's not a good sign, a lot of people claim "pure breed" when they are not. He also claimed to be CKC registered but the last time I drove past there I didn't notice it on his sign anymore.

Please don't take this wrong, if you get a dog and love it, that is all that matters but if you are paying that kind of money for a dog, you should be getting what you are expecting. If whoever is selling you the dog can't supply copies of the pedigree of both the male & female and a witness to the mating and proof that the litter is registered.... Well, some one is making a lot of money for lying to you.

A few more things:

EXERCISE - If you are worried about exercise - a beagle might not be the right animal for you. They are high strung and love time in the field. They are not like bigger dogs that are content to have a small run and then just hang out. They need lots and lots of exercise or they get depressed and balloon into big fat loafs. I taught my young one how to fetch. That saves me a lot of trouble but I think he might be a special case, since I don't think they are known as retrievers. He will also dock dive and swim like a retriever which I believe is also pretty rare.

HOWLING - I've found my dogs are very quiet 95% of the time. They do not howl randomly - they howl when there is a reason to (squirrels, raccoons, rabbits, etc.). However when they do howl, you know it. They are LOUD and they won't stop until they get what they want.

TRAINING - They can be trained to do certain things. They can be trained with food. But with exceptions they will never win obedience records. At my dog training class, our beagle was the star when we were training with food. Other animals would get distracted but he always stayed focussed on the task at hand if it involved food. Once the food was taken away, he might as well have gone deaf. And you can’t fake it, he can tell from 50’ if you have a snack in your hang or you are just faking. No snack, no obedience.

FOOD – They are food dogs of the highest degree. They will steal from the table, the garbage, anywhere. They will jump onto the dining room table if you don’t watch them. I've lost a few steaks that way. They dial right into food they want even if they cannot see it and then wait "sleeping quietly" until you are not paying attention then before you know it, it’s gone.

PHYSICAL DISCIPLINE - They don’t care about being wacked, spanked or slapped. They appear to feel no pain. Hitting them will not change their behaviour. They are not like some dogs where a slap on the rump is enough to bring them back in line. They just don't seem to care. When you see how hard they smash themselves around in the field all on their own, you’ll understand why this method of discipline doesn’t really work.

INTELLIGENCE - they are super smart, but people think they are dumb because they don't sit and stay and come when called like a retriever or a shepherd. They however will come up with new and creative strategies to get what they want - some of which will amaze you in their ingenuity.

Beagles are not house pets, they are not small dogs. They are compact medium size hunting dogs with a ton of energy, brains and spirit. I am crazy about my hounds, they are warm and friendly and lots of fun, but they are challenging.

If you do find a registered breeder with the CKC (Canadian Kennel Club) , and they offer you a pup without papers being cheaper than one that has papers, report them directly to the CKC. It is against the law to do so as all pups are registered right from birth.

if you want info on rays beagles give me a buzz i own the whie and black one in fangs pics mine was running deer at 5 months old and everyone i talked to said she wouldnt run till after a yr old , these are great household pets as well as hunting dogs.

Edited by malcolm