What is the best 2pc rod for all around use??

greetings everyone.. here is my rotten story.

Big group of people up at the cottage this weekend, out fishing with the guys with my nearly brand new(2 months old) Abu Garcia Veritas mated to my brand new pfluger patriarch, running 20lb suffix braided line. I am dragging a popper over the surface, give it a pop and boom.. rod snaps into 3 piece less than 2 ft from the end of the rod. So I do a little googling, and it turns out..hundreds of people are breaking the veritas, and the rod a level above it the verdict. My buddy just bought a rapala shift that I was considering and I am reading these are breaking like crazy too??? what the hell? In all my years of fishing with cheap gear..I have never broken a rod, the year I upgrade..issues. That being said.. I will never go back to that heavy unpleasant cheap gear, I would really like a higher end rod.

So, my questions becomes.. who makes a higher end, quality rod in the $100-$200 range that is going to be super sensitive like the Veritas which I loved, but super durable at the same time? And it has to be 2 pc, I fish everything with one setup. Mainly pike and bass. Thanks guys,

HFP

No warranty on the rod since you broke it fishing?

I don't go with one rod for all types of fishing. I have been equally impressed by some of the new cheaper rods ie Shakespeare Catera/Agility series as I have been by the more expensive Shimano Compre. For double the price I don't see the Compre offering double the value in any way ie feel, strengh and more importantly sensitivity.

I know what you mean about going back to heavy older rods though. I just bought a Cabelas Whupping stick for 29.99 the thing is so strong and sensitive but it just weighs a ton compared to IM-8 rods. The 10ft whupping stick weighs 2.5ozs more than the 11.5ft Catera and 4oz's more than a Swan Company IM-8 11.5ft. Those ozs sound like nothing on paper but in your hand with the same reel it makes such a difference. Over the day casting at minimum a couple hundred times it takes a toll.

Edited by Canuck2fan

I dont know what it is about Abu Rods, but i broke 2 Vendettas this year.One on a 5lb Pike, and one on a snag.First at the second guide, secon 3 inches above the ferrule.

Shimanos are good, but i also own a couple of Quantum PT`s and they are great rods too. Sensitive and tough.

I dont know what it is about Abu Rods, but i broke 2 Vendettas this year.

So glad I didn't get one when I looked at it now that I read a bunch of posts like this all over the net.

I had one and was ready to get it and ended up with a BPS Cranking Stick (or clacking stick) for less, better warranty and more feel and it's a decent weight too. Not a prob. casting it all day with mid size jerk baits.

there is a warranty for the rod I broke, but not through bass pro, they only honor 30 days for direct exchange. I had to take a picture, scan my receipt and mail into abu directly. They are going to send me another one. But i expect it will perform the same based on all the guys breaking them.. which means I can not trust it.

No warranty on the rod since you broke it fishing?

I don't go with one rod for all types of fishing. I have been equally impressed by some of the new cheaper rods ie Shakespeare Catera/Agility series as I have been by the more expensive Shimano Compre. For double the price I don't see the Compre offering double the value in any way ie feel, strengh and more importantly sensitivity.

I know what you mean about going back to heavy older rods though. I just bought a Cabelas Whupping stick for 29.99 the thing is so strong and sensitive but it just weighs a ton compared to IM-8 rods. The 10ft whupping stick weighs 2.5ozs more than the 11.5ft Catera and 4oz's more than a Swan Company IM-8 11.5ft. Those ozs sound like nothing on paper but in your hand with the same reel it makes such a difference. Over the day casting at minimum a couple hundred times it takes a toll.

I'm saving up for Abu Garcia Vilain rod which is more money than Verdict or Veritas, probably their most expensive rod. Are they any good? I looked at a 7'1" MH rod and was pretty impressed with it.

Edited by Gray_Wolf

there is a warranty for the rod I broke, but not through bass pro, they only honor 30 days for direct exchange. I had to take a picture, scan my receipt and mail into abu directly. They are going to send me another one. But i expect it will perform the same based on all the guys breaking them.. which means I can not trust it.

Bought both mine at Sail. 11 months later they gave me cash back for both. No invoice, they found the receipt in thier computer.

The Abu rods have a 3 year warranty, or atleast my vendetta does.

I have been super happy with mine. 2piece 7' medium. Only complaint is mine has a longer handle and I find myself bruising my side sometimes when I set the hook...I am getting more used to it though and it happens less and less

Other than that I really have no input. I've had some serious snags and even broke a gamakatsu wackey worm hook trying to get it out and the rod hasn't flinched.

I am starting to lean heavily toward St Croix in general.. no real reports online of rod failures.

I saw a brand new St. Croix snap on it's second cast.... I know a lot of people swear by them but after that I would never buy one. The whole experience with having to stop fishing go back to the store where the guy bought it 2hrs ago only to be told he couldn't replace it without having the "rep" check it over blah, blah. blah.... Either warranty is over the counter or it isn't. LOL.

It really comes to down how a rod feels with the reel you want to use on it, and how the store you bought it at handles things that go wrong. NOBODY wants to have to deal with the manufacturer for a replacement.

I broke a St.Croix Premier rod last year, but I know I slightly damaged it a few months before and I broke it trying to get out of a snag. I still bought another one as I do like them. My father broke a Shimano Clarus a couple years ago when the fish suddenly took off under the boat and the rod hit the side of the boat and snapped. Basically, all graphite rods are fragile no matter what price range they fall in. Bang them around enough and I have a feeling they will start to get weak points.

I have also been using a Browning Medallion GT rod for over five years and really like it. So, I'd also consider getting one of the BPS brands (I think Browning is a BPS brand???) since they seem easiest to replace if something happens.

My favorite rod though is a GLoomis Walleye rod that I picked up earlier in the year on clearance. What a nice rod, although it's a 1 piece. I never thought I would feel a difference between it and my St.Croix rods, but after using it for the majority of time on my last trip and then switching back to one of my St.Croix set-ups they felt "clunky" and heavy. Definitely not what I expected.

have a read online.. they seem to be snapping an awful lot also. Abu gets no more of my money.

I'm saving up for Abu Garcia Vilain rod which is more money than Verdict or Veritas, probably their most expensive rod. Are they any good? I looked at a 7'1" MH rod and was pretty impressed with it.

Relatively cheap rod, but I love my Shimano Voltaeus.... Some guys don't like them, but no matter what rod you chose, you'll find folks that don't like them. My 2 cents....

I broke a rod once....about 50 years ago. I broke another one about 3 years ago but I had lent it to a person who had never fished before and I'm quite sure he hit the gunwale of the boat with it. Anyway....it was a good rod and cost me a big 10 dollars....on sale at Walmart's. I still have a few more of those rods made by Renegade and they are doing fine after more than 10 years. I also broke a rod by leaving it in the sun in a car and it warped. I tried to straighten the warp and broke it. I sent it back to Berkley and they sent me a new one. It did not have a lifetime garantee but was replaced anyway.

I don't believe in rods having a lifetime garantee. You pay for the garantee or you buy a rod made in Korea from a company that makes the same rod as the one that has a lifetime garantee.

All rods break if they are improperly handled or the fisherman wants to pull fish out of the water like the pros do. No ordinary rod can lift a 10 lb bag of potatoes off the ground without breaking so don't expect the rod to pull 30 lbs. A fish can pull about 4 times it's weight. Luckily, todays reels have great drags when compared to the reels made in the 40's and 50's so use the drag on the reel to protect your rod.

I've been using an Abu Verdict for 2 yrs now without any problems...in fact it's one of my fav. rods to use for flippin and pitching in the milfoil patches. What about the new Rapala Concept? I heard they're pretty sweet but I'm not sure of the price.

I use a 6'-6" ugly stick medium, that cost about 50 bucks for a ton of bass and pike fishing. This is my hard to get places rod (trekking through bush, mountain biking in, or just tossing a rod around camping). They're so flexible, hard to break, cheap and have a 5 year warranty. My uncle who taught me to fish as a kid used so i'm slightly impartial. You can go light cause of the soft tip, or fish the weeds with braid as I'm not concerned about breaking. Had to swap it out at a dealer in Orillia 3 years ago cause the cork on the handle broke and no hassles. Great bank for the buck!

I recently had a brand new St. Croix rod snap hoisting a 1 lb bass into the boat. People say you shouldn't hoist fish in with graphite and it was my fault. I have another St. Croix that I can hoist walleye into the boat all day long with and it hasn't broken in the past year I have been using it (yet!).

I replaced the broken rod with a cheap Shakespeare Ugly Stick as I have been getting tired forking out $$ for graphite and it sure felt heavy to begin with. Used to it now though.

it is funny you both mention the ugly stick.. that has been the rod i was using up until I upgraded, thing is indestructible it seems...had it for years and only in the early days it was often mistreated. However, after you use a nice rod, impossible to go back..way to heavy and just not sensitive at all. Not to say I will ever throw it away. :)

I recently had a brand new St. Croix rod snap hoisting a 1 lb bass into the boat. People say you shouldn't hoist fish in with graphite and it was my fault. I have another St. Croix that I can hoist walleye into the boat all day long with and it hasn't broken in the past year I have been using it (yet!).

I replaced the broken rod with a cheap Shakespeare Ugly Stick as I have been getting tired forking out $ for graphite and it sure felt heavy to begin with. Used to it now though.

I am starting to lean heavily toward St Croix in general.. no real reports online of rod failures.

I love St. Croix as they make great rods. I bought a Shimano Compre thos year which I don't like a hole lot. I then decided to try a Shimano Crucial and I love it. It isn't there best rod or anything but a great rod for $160 and lifetime warranty over the counter if theres one in stock. I think I like it more then my St. Croix to be honest. My next will be the Shimano Cumara for a crankbait rod.

Look at Shimano as well as they have a better warranty.

You have the luxury of a number of choices. I will vouch for Abu rods, at least the Veritas. I have a 7ft mh and it usually has a Super Shad Rap on it, which is heavier than the rating for the rod, and it's held up well. I also have a 6'6 Rapala R-type in a two price that has served me very well. The most irritating thing about two price rods to me is when they twist in the ferrule. The R-type doesn't. My Abu is a one piece, but I believe it's available in a two price. Happy Shopping!

Edited by backbay