Catfish on Mepps #4

oates

Managed to bag a decent cat whilst fishing for bass in the river. I'm new to working Mepps spinners - caught pike and bass, is this a rarity or can this lure catch cats too? Mepps #4 silver

Edited by oates

Catfish do indeed hit spinners regularly. I caught one this week on a spoon too.

Funny you say that spinners are underrated, as many anglers I talk to say it's their #1 lure. I've caught more game fish on spinners than any other lure. 50c spinners from the dollar store to boot.

Nope, not at all a rarity. Caught many cats and some big fiesty ones too in the Lower Grand on Mepps. My favourite, which is hard to find, is a dressed Brown Trout Mepps #4, tipped with a piece of worm was always my go to lure. Can't find it everywhere but Bass Pro and LeBarons usually had them in varous sizes.

side question: I have caught cats between 1-5lb in the grand and thames. I heard there are 10lb ones in there or maybe more, is there a more proven technique to get the big guys or is it just rare to find them so big?

side question: I have caught cats between 1-5lb in the grand and thames. I heard there are 10lb ones in there or maybe more, is there a more proven technique to get the big guys or is it just rare to find them so big?

A big chunk of sucker meat on a a circle hook. Use a heavy sinker and let it sit on the bottom. This is what most guys use on the grand for big channel cats. The fish in your pic is a bullhead catfish. They wont get much bigger then a couple of pounds.

A big chunk of sucker meat on a a circle hook. Use a heavy sinker and let it sit on the bottom. This is what most guys use on the grand for big channel cats. The fish in your pic is a bullhead catfish. They wont get much bigger then a couple of pounds.

Cool! Bullheads are just smaller or do they look different. Which tastes better BTW? With most fish, I find the small ones taste better than monsters anyway. He did fight like a little Bull driving down into the water digging his head left/right.

We accidently got a 12 pounder and a 27 pound catfish on the same day ytolling a orange j-11 rapala in a river. Was surprised at this. those are some pretty strong fish.

I actually have some pics somewhere with the lure still in his mouth.

We accidently got a 12 pounder and a 27 pound catfish on the same day ytolling a orange j-11 rapala in a river. Was surprised at this. those are some pretty strong fish.

I actually have some pics somewhere with the lure still in his mouth.

12lb fish on the end of the line, serious bicep curl!

Try a 27 pounder!! It was a load.

Here is what a 27 pound catfish looks like with a J-11 in its mouth

ahh...my 10lb test may not win that one. I think i'd panic with that monster on the line, amazing catch.

It was caught on 10 pound test mono. 7ft rod.

Mepps black fury and Blue Fox (3 or 4 diff ones) are my go to lures caught everything on em including many many Musky!!

Every spring these are what I buy as well as Gulp and jigs.