boat insurance

Marc Thorpe

Nope CH...no different than if I parked my car in your back yard without insurance. Your insurance isn't going to cover my car.

And BTW...most house insurance policies cover boats to no more than a $1500 value without an additional addendum put on your policy...and read the fine print in your liability coverage to see how many HP you can have before you aren't covered. Many home policies are only 18HP if an outboard..some make it to 24HP. Just something to keep in the back of your mind if you ever have the unfortunate situation of hitting someone swimming or similar.

is a boat being stored in my backyard covered under the house insurance if the boat is registered in someone elses name?

Yes and no, lol. All depends on what size of the boat and what your policy states basically.

Storing a boat registered in someone else's name is fine as your policy will include personal property owned by others while it is on that portion of your premises that you occupy.

Now, do you own this boat and it's in someone else's name or just storing it for a friend? If it's a friends then there's coverage if; there's no watercraft exclusion in your policy and there's no other insurance coverage on this boat. If you own the boat then you will have to prove insurable interest, ie: you would have to get that boat ownership in your name.

Madhuskie - yes it would; no policy excludes driver error or stupidity :whistling:

my gradparents are storing their 14' aluminum and trailer at my house and i can use it whenever i want so its basically mine now. there is no outboard so the value isnt very high.

it is still in their name so should we just leave it like that or transfer it into my name?