Pre-Opening Steel

ccmtcanada

Bly and I went out tonight to do a little pre trout opening fishing. We headed to a nice night spot on a local trib and began our drifting at the tail end of sunset. We could see lots of suckers in the pool we were at, but also a few shadows that may have been small steelies as well.

About a half hour into drifting, my float went down and I landed this scrappy little female.

med_gallery_60_23_548.jpg

We had high hopes that maybe some more drop backs were cruising the area. My float went down about 15 minutes later....but it was a sucker!! I like to call them bronze trout....LOL. Oh well....this guy put up a nice little fight.

gallery_60_23_29697.jpg

Bly caught this little guy...looked like a Trout Perch...but we're not sure.

gallery_60_23_22248.jpg

We had a few missed strikes...could see the fish rise to the top and turn after we couldn't set the hook...

Anyhow, with the rain coming, looks like the next time we'll be out is Saturday's opener.

WTG Cliff....pretty soom you'll be taking guys out and giving lessons!! :worthy::thumbsup_anim::worthy:

Jason

Thanks Jason, but I dont know about that...LOL. I've had some ask me, but I warn them that I'm new at this kind of fishing as well. Bly and I just try to learn as much as we can...then it's just get out there and practice!! On days where fishing is slow, I'll just play around with float depths, weight placement, and drifting techniques to get used to the different setups and see what works well in faster/slower water. You can read all you want, but until you try it all, it's just theory...LOL.

BTW....if we can figure out how to land the fish at that opening spot you tipped us off to, I'll call you....LOL

Good catch there, thats a neat looking fish the perch trout thing, is there even a such thing?

Yeppers....here's some info I copied from a website...

http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/dfwmr/f...html#troutperch

Trout-perch

smtrperch.gif

click for larger imageThe trout-perch is a small, nearly transparent fish that averages three to four inches in length. Looking somewhat like a cross between a trout and a perch, it has an adipose (top rear) fin like a trout and spiny fin rays like a perch. A New York native, it is found in waters across the State.

Trout-perch occur in a variety of habitats ranging from shallow streams to a 200 feet depth in the Great Lakes. Bottom dwelling fish, they are usually found over sand and gravel and seem to avoid areas of rooted aquatic vegetation. They spawn in shallow, rocky streams from May through August. As in many other fish species, the adhesive eggs are scattered and then abandoned.

In lakes, adult trout-perch remain in deeper water during the day and then move into shallower water at night to feed on aquatic insects and small crustaceans. While anglers rarely encounter these fish, trout-perch are an important food source for walleye, northern pike, burbot, lake trout, brook trout, sauger, yellow perch, and freshwater drum.

nice work guys.

with the kid coming soon it's been hard for me to get out. but maybe this weekend. if the water looks good my buddy will take me to some quiet little places on the notty, where i can watch him land a dozen while i untangle lol!

hope all is well

take care

-d-

nice work guys.

with the kid coming soon it's been hard for me to get out. but maybe this weekend. if the water looks good my buddy will take me to some quiet little places on the notty, where i can watch him land a dozen while i untangle lol!

hope all is well

take care

-d-

LOL Douger...if you get out this weekend, I'm sure you'll land at least a few! If you do, make sure the camera is ready and post your report!! Good luck to you. All is well with us....lookin forward to tomorrow.

Cliff