Dog Lovers

Twocoda

I still believe it doesn't effect me because I have a pure bred with papers, not a mixed breed.quote name='Twocoda' date='17 July 2012 - 07:14 AM' timestamp='1342527259' post='715252']

BSL comming to a town near you....Bull Mastiffs and Rotties...welcome to death row in Midland Ontario

SCHEDULE ‘A’ TO AMENDING BY-LAW 99-64

Pit Bull Terrier, American Pit Bull Terrier, Pit Bull, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, American

Staffordshire Terrier, or any dog of mixed breeding which includes any of the aforementioned

breeds.

Rottweiler or any dog of mixed breeding which includes the aforementioned breed.

Any member of the Mastiff dog family or any dog of mixed breeding which includes the

aforementioned breed. (Amending By-law 2001-22)

G J MacDonald

DO you still believe this doesnt effect you??? think again...

edit to add the link..just in case someone in the Midland area has a dog

http://calendar.county.simcoe.on.ca/partners/midland/media/files/Dogs.pdf

Edited by fishinmortician

I still believe it doesn't effect me because I have a pure bred with papers, not a mixed breed.quote name='Twocoda' date='17 July 2012 - 07:14 AM' timestamp='1342527259' post='715252']

So as long as it doesn't affect your particular dog, who cares?

Nice attitude. :wallbash:

Yes its sad the Labs i see that are shaped like a barrel with hair and legs...THOSE people should be evaluated as to abuse of an animal...The BEST exercise for your lab is ...let it swim...just like the Goldens they will love you for it ...there is a reason they have hollow hair fibre...my dogs get an extreme hard 1/2 hour workout almost every day and walked countless times...my motto is ...an exhausted dog is happy dog...and it doesnt hurt me either

It is a real shame how people allow their labs to become pigs. Not to mention increased risk of hip displatia associated with being overweight. I would say 90% of labs I see in my area are overweight, sickening.

I was already aware that swimming is best for labs and she sure as heck confirmed it during my 8 day stay on the West Arm a couple weeks ago (her first time up north). She couldn't stay out of the water. Bugger scratched me all over my body while swimming towards me, until I started redirecting her with a light push when she came near me. I will have to work on not allowing her to come too close to people when swimming in the water with her.

I still believe it doesn't effect me because I have a pure bred with papers, not a mixed breed.

When your children grow up make sure you teach them to only fall in love with a puppy that comes with papers

I have papers for my AB too for lineage...but those papers dont apply beacause he still "looks" like a pitbull (which isnt even a breed) so that means i would have to get DNA on my dog to compar to a dog breed that doesnt exsist

DO you have kids> does it effect you later on in life?

Seems totally un-enforcable to me...who gets to decide if your dog might have some particular, undesirable breed mixed in?

You get to decide if your dog has a certain breed mixed in by proving it in court after they seize your dog because an officer doesnt know the difference ....or it can be put down

It took me three trys to pick the right dog in this scenario....and i always thought i had a trained eye,,,give it a shot and see how you do...

http://www.pbrc.net/poppysplace/games/AdultFindabull/findpitbull_v4.html

Here are the facts...knowledge is everything...and your dogs life depends on you knowing it...being a responsible dog owner is knowing as much as you can...Its one thing to teach your dog to "play dead" but its another thing for the government to make it a reality

http://supporthersheysbill.com/the-truth-about-breed-specific-legislation-bsl/

Edited by Twocoda

Dog Bite Related Fatalities in Canada (January 1983 to February 2012) with a brief description of the incidents...is it a co-incidence that non of the cause of deaths state that the attacks were caused by "looked like a pit bull"

When you consider that a large number of these attacks occurred in northern communities with little or no animal control, sometimes on First Nations reserves, is it surprising that the dogs involved are northern types of dogs?

As you read through these accounts, it should become apparent that breed is not the issue. Circumstance is the key. Children not supervised. Dogs running loose or breaking loose. Dogs chained in areas where wandering children could enter. Dog/child interactions not supervised.

These things are what caused the deaths of the children in particular, not what type of dog was involved.

Here is the list updated as of February 29, 2012:

Mar 1983. Edmonton AB. 3-year-old boy. 2 Farm dogs. Free roaming dogs attacked boy near his home

Apr 1987. Vernon BC. 5-year-old girl. 1 German Shepherd X. Girl went to play with grandmother’s chained dog.

Jun 1988. QU. 17-month-old boy. 1 German Shepherd. Wandered over to neighbour’s dog.

Apr 1990. ON. Newborn girl. 1 Chow Chow. Family dog overturned bassinet.

Jul 1993. NWT. 6-year-old girl. 1 Sled dog. Tried to feed bone to tethered dogs.

Dec 1993. AB. 11-year-old girl. 5 Sled dogs. Attacked by loose dogs while walking home.

Sep 1994. ON. 17-month-old girl. 1 Maremma Sheepdog. Attacked when got between male dog & female dog in heat.

Aug 1995. ON. 22-year-old man. 2 American Staffordshire Terriers. Evidence indicated drunken roommate provoked dogs.

Dec 1995. SK. 6-year-old boy. 2 German Shepherds. Attacked while playing in yard by uncle’s dogs.

1996. Cross Lake MB. 3-year-old boy. 4 Strays. Killed on Cross Lake Reservation by stray dogs.

Sep 1997. SK. 3-year-old boy. 1 Sled dog (Husky/Shep X or Husky/Wolf X). Attacked in junk-filled yard by chained dog, loose puppies also in yard.

Nov 1997. ON. 3-year-old boy. 1 Rottweiler. Resident dog broke loose from chain and attacked boy.

Mar 1998. Iqaluit NU. 6-year-old girl. 4 Sled dogs. Wandered to dogs staked on sea ice.

Apr 29 1998. Stouffville ON. 8-year-old girl. 1 Bullmastiff. Attacked while playing in neighbour’s yard.

Aug 23 1998. Zacharias Island, Hopedale Labrador NF. 10-year-old boy and 44-year-old woman. 8 Sled dogs (Labrador/Husky X’s). Mother & son killed while picking blueberries on island where pack of sled dogs was left for summer.

Dec 21 1998. Cross Lake MB. 8-year-old boy. 6 Strays. Second child killed by stray dogs on Cross Lake Reservation.

Mar 1999. BC. 3-year-old girl. 1 Husky X. Attacked while playing in neighbour’s yard.

May 1999. Saint-Charles-de-Mandeville, Lanaudière QU. 2-year-old boy. 1 Husky. Victim tangled up in chain of one of 24 dogs kept in yard – cause of death was single bite to throat.

Jul 1999. NWT. 2-year-old boy. 1 Husky X. Attacked while with mother at grandfather’s home.

Nov 1999. Garden River AB. 6-year-old girl. Pack of dogs (4+). Girl playing with loose puppy, killed by pack of starving dogs (reservation).

Jan 27 2002. Woodland Beach ON. 4-year-old girl. 2 Labrador/Rottweiler X. Attacked in field by father’s dogs while visiting father’s home.

Mar 1 2003. Kingston Peninsula NB. 4-year-old boy. 3 Rottweilers. Visiting at home with father, killed in yard where 2 males and 1 female were kept.

Oct 13 2003. Nelson House MB. 3-year-old boy. 4 German Shepherd X. Killed by 4 of grandmother’s 15 dogs (chained and broke free) – playing with puppy – Cree Reservation.

Dec 27 2004. Maple Ridge BC. 3-year-old boy. 1 Border Collie, 3 Rottweilers. Killed by 2 of own dogs (Border Collie & Rottweiler) and 2 visiting Rottweilers while mother slept.

May 29 2006. Wellburn ON. 77-year-old man. 1 Jack Russell/Collie X, described by authorities as Pit Bull/Labrador Retriever X. Man “playfully” shoved wife – dog attacked him and bit throat.

Jun 15 2006. Sayisi Dene First Nation in Tadoule Lake MB. 3-year-old boy. 2 Husky X. Two loose-running dogs, NOT STRAYS, attacked child. Multiple unsupervised children.

Jul 27 2006. Hollow Water First Nation MB. 2-year-old boy. 2 Husky X. Unsupervised child wandered into group of loose and tethered dogs. 2 identified as killers (one loose, one tethered). Tethered dog part of sled team. 17-year old babysitter noticed child was missing one hour later. Uncle found child.

Nov 16 2006. North Tallcree First Nation (near Fort Vermilion) AB. 5-year-old boy. 1 Rottweiler, 1 German Shepherd X, 3 Unknown Breeds. Five loose-running dogs. Only two were found (both owned by same owner). Child unsupervised. Neighbours saw attack and tried to stop it.

Jan 18 2007. Cumberland House First Nation Reserve SK. 5-year-old boy. 6 Unknown Breeds, both large and small. One report describes dogs as strays, another as owned by a neighbour who let them run loose. Death from bites and hypothermia. Child unsupervised on way to school.

Jul 1 2007. Smiths Falls (Montague Township) ON. 17-month-old girl. 1 Rottweiler/German Shepherd X. 10 year old dog at grandparents’ house. Family visiting. Child wandered into backyard where dog was chained.

Jan 30 2010. Canoe Lake First Nation Reserve SK. 9-year-old boy. 4 Unknown breeds. 9 year old going to visit cousin’s house. Found dead.

Mar 22 2010. Pangnirtung NU. 4-year-old boy. 3 Huskies. Sled dogs described as huskies broke loose from chains while owner was out of town and attacked boy, Town coroner discovered dogs tearing body apart while he was driving past. He killed all three dogs. Boy was unsupervised.

Jun 7 2010. Saint-Barnabé-Sud (St. Hyacinthe) QU. 3-week-old girl. 2 Huskies. Baby in car seat in kitchen near balcony sliding doors (with dogs), parent(s) on balcony 10 ft away having cigarette. Dogs attacked baby. Third dog in crate with puppies!.

Aug 21 2011. Mosquito First Nation SK. 1-year-old girl. 2 Husky X. 1 year old wandered into dogs’ yard.

Feb 16 2012. Airdrie AB. Newborn boy. 1 Husky. Baby in crib, dog in crate in basement, baby cried, female dog got loose and killed baby (maybe trying to move it).

http://www.chicobandido.com/2012/03/dbrf-201202/

If your MPP is a Liberal in your riding...chances are very good they will be voting to KEEP BSL...they need to know how YOU feel about this situation either way...BSL is animal racism and violates your rights as a Canadian regardless of the "type" of dog you have in your house..your liberal MPPs need to hear from YOU if you support Bill 16 because if Dalton calls a "whipped" vote FORCING his members to vote with the Liberal Party then that is an injustice in its own in a democratic society...Because of the passing of the second reading on the 23rd of Feb 2012...you can thank the "pitbull type" owners for keeping YOUR dogs breed off the BSL list..they cannot now add anymore...if it fails to pass the third reading...just like the Minden Amendment...they are comming for your breed next...then this whole thing gets to start over and you get to live as a second class citizen with no rights when it comes to your pet...there are many reasons that the PC, NDP and some Liberals have joined forces to repeal BSL...

Here is a list of the MPPS for your riding and how they voted

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4933139330/doc/10150818555314331/

Cheers

Edited by Twocoda

In addition to the TORONTO WALK please be advised that there are also walk in:

Vancouver BC

https://www.facebook.com/events/339285309487502/

Kingston Walk

https://www.facebook.com/events/401059533285879/

Peterborough

https://www.facebook.com/events/248443451941652/

St. Catharine’s Walk

https://www.facebook.com/events/396913213702590/

Hamilton and Ottawa showing interest but as yet there is no lead person to make the event.

From the Toronto and Peterborough Walks to fight BSL

85 pictures just click the picture to go to the next

Well speaking from exeriance, my daughter was 9 at the time when a family friend had a large dog of a breed that was mentioned here, As the owner said he's a angel he would not hurt a flea, hes just a big baby....ya well the big baby decided to snatch my little baby by the face while we all sat at the table....lets just say i did everything in my power to have the dog put down as i didnt want it to happen to another person...I am a dog lover but when theres trouble with a dog...its time to say good bye.

Well speaking from exeriance, my daughter was 9 at the time when a family friend had a large dog of a breed that was mentioned here, As the owner said he's a angel he would not hurt a flea, hes just a big baby....ya well the big baby decided to snatch my little baby by the face while we all sat at the table....lets just say i did everything in my power to have the dog put down as i didnt want it to happen to another person...I am a dog lover but when theres trouble with a dog...its time to say good bye.

First im truely sorry your daughter and you had to experience this in her life...but the problem lies not with the dog...but the owner for giving you a false sense of security....a responsible owner KNOWS their dog and should be held liable...if the owner had any doubts of how his animal would react to someone or something...then he should have taken measures to ensure the safety of his guests and his dog....I know my dog will chase a squirrel...its my job to make sure it doesnt get the opportunity to do so. Kind of like a 4 year old kid that needs constant monitoring... i agree if a dog is troubled and shows any signs of aggression towards humans and cant be rehabilitated then it is time to say good bye...there is a responsibility that comes with a dog ...more than just feeding it and picking up its pooh...IM glad you still have it in your heart to still be a dog lover...but based on that one dog...do you think EVERY dog of that breed should be eliminated from the planet? or any dog that might look like that dog? same colour?

Some breeds that have been ALREADY been identified as "PIT BULLS" in Ontario are

Boston Terrier,

Bull Terrier.

Chesapeake Bay Retriever,

Dogo Argentino/ Mastiff Mix,

Great Dane/Whippit Mix,

Hungarian Vizla,

Huskey or Boarder Collie Mix with Lab,

Labrador Retriever, (paying attention fishinmortician?)does it effect you now?

Labrador Retriever/Boxer Mix,

Neopolitan Mastiff, and Various Mixes of Boxer and Lab with something else.... :wallbash:

and now the Minden additions of Rotties/Mix and Mastiffs/Mix

So what does all this mean....it means ....IF you own any of these dogs or anything that "LOOKS" like these dogs...YOU fall into the DDLA (Dangerous Dog Liability Act) which means ...no warrant to come into your house and take your dog from you and your family...and makes you a second class citizen because it violates your rights on a constitutional level for at least 7 reasons because ...like it or not....YOUR DOG IS A PIT BULL (which isnt even a BREED of dog)

SO if your Dog "might possibly" resemble ANY of these dogs.....Welcome to the "CLUB"

Do you have a dog in your family now?

I think some people blinded by love for their dogs are missing some very key points here.

My sister has a AB, biggest pushover you can imagine. But that doesn't mean a damn thing if one day she decides to take a bite out of someone.. The problem is the amount of damage these dogs can do in a very short period of time. That's the one common factor with all these dogs, regardless of how well you've think you've trained it.. Not to mention the pain threshold these dogs have, you could take a baseball bat to its head and it wouldn't phase it. So combine those certain attributes into 120lbs of muscle and you've got the potential for disaster.

Anyone who thinks they can predict what an animal will do is fooling themselves. These dogs (AB's for example) were bread as working dogs (to catch and hold livestock none the less).

Do I think my sisters AB would ever harm a fly? Honestly, I don't think she ever will. Is there potential for extreme damage or even death if she does compared to other breeds? Absolutely.

I think some people blinded by love for their dogs are missing some very key points here.

My sister has a AB, biggest pushover you can imagine. But that doesn't mean a damn thing if one day she decides to take a bite out of someone.. The problem is the amount of damage these dogs can do in a very short period of time. That's the one common factor with all these dogs, regardless of how well you've think you've trained it.. Not to mention the pain threshold these dogs have, you could take a baseball bat to its head and it wouldn't phase it. So combine those certain attributes into 120lbs of muscle and you've got the potential for disaster.

Anyone who thinks they can predict what an animal will do is fooling themselves. These dogs (AB's for example) were bread as working dogs (to catch and hold livestock none the less).

Do I think my sisters AB would ever harm a fly? Honestly, I don't think she ever will. Is there potential for extreme damage or even death if she does compared to other breeds? Absolutely.

your right Bill to an extent....accepting an AB for example also means your accepting the responsibility that comes with ANY large dog socializing the people that come in contact with your dog is just as important as socializing the dog itself....if an owner of a dog senses any signs of unrest in the animal or person...simply crate the dog or put it in a bedroom...just because a certain dog looks like something that dosnt exist...is that reason to euthanize them all out of the province..and strip dog owners of their constitutional rights.maybe the target should be on the puppy mills and bloodsports people..Farming animals applies federal inspections apply it to breeders and punish anyone else.No dog should ever be 100% trusted regardless of its breed or size...punish the deed should an incident happen...not a certain breed that doesnt exist and owners of a breed that "looks like" it

Here's my vicious Victorian Bulldog "Ozzy. LOL He does get mistaken for a pitbull because he has the "blockhead" look.

542929_10151064524863793_155542155_n.jpg

In his breed he does have Staff. Terrier and bullmastiff. He's a super friendly dog and very active. Loves to swim and fetch sticks. Poor thing is having a tough go this week though.......he just got "the boys" cut off. lol

Edited by ckrb2007

beautiful dog ckrb2007 ..have you tried him with a Frisbee? IF you do dont forget your camera to capture his awesomeness

Its about time to Vets are taking a stand and refuse to put down a dog that had an incident in Montreal..A detruction order is in effect and the "pound" refuse to kill this dog...Ontario needs to get with it regarding our BSL...

Heres the link http://www.examiner.com/article/facility-refuses-to-kill-wicca-the-dog

Heads up Montreal....This isnt going to bode well for you....heres an excerpt to spark your interest...but please read the whole article

© By June Maxam

MONTREAL, CANADA—Montreal is embracing a new Nazism but its not against Jews, it’s against dogs.

If you live in Montreal and own a dog, you may want to consider moving.

Unless the people of Montreal take immediate action, a new bylaw being proposed by city government would be even more draconian than the current one which resulted in the death of the much beloved Wicca on Thursday.

The Montreal SPCA says a new bylaw planned to be enacted by the city would provide for automatic and mandatory euthanasia in cases where a dog causes a skin laceration regardless of the context or the severity of the injury.

In order words, if your dog scratches a person, the dog would automatically be put down.

Dog owners wishing to fight an euthanasia order from the city will also only have 24 hours to obtain a behavior analysis from their own chosen expert in order to contest the death order, according to the SPCA.

The SPCA says the 24 hour delay will not permit a dog’s owner sufficient time to obtain their own expert evidence as the wait list for dog behavior specialists in the city of Montreal is generally greater than a week.

“What is so scary about what Mayor (Gerald) Tremblay’s office is proposing is that it means that if, for example, a dog was to bite another dog or a person while defending themselves the dog would be automatically sentenced to death by the City” said Alanna Devine, director of Animal Advocacy at the Montreal SPCA, “and it will be impossible for dog owners to even contest this death sentence because the delay of 24 hours is not nearly enough time to find, hire and consult with an expert in canine behavior”.

Montreal residents should attend the next meeting of their borough’s council, call city hall and send emails to voice their adamant opposition to Mayor Gerald Tremblay’s plan for what could result in essentially a mass extermination of dogs in the city.

http://www.northcountrygazette.org/2012/07/28/dog_euthanasia/

What is BSL?

Breed-specific legislation is a law that bans or restricts certain breeds or types of dogs based on the belief that those breeds or types are more dangerous than others, when there is no scientifically proven link between breed and aggression. We talk of breed discrimination rather when for instance insurance companies do not provide insurance or landlords allowing dogs refuse to rent an apartment for an owner of a specific breed or type.

What is the Lennox case?

Lennox was an American bulldog-Labrador cross that was seized in 2010 and killed two years later by the Belfast City Council Dog Wardens Department after he was deemed a pitbull due to the BSL in place. Lennox never bit or attacked anyone, his owners were responsible and followed the law.

What is the Wicca case?

Wicca was an American Staffordshire Terrier that was seized and euthanized by Montreal city officials after an incident where she bit two people. There is no BSL in place where Wicca lived and she is for that reason not a victim of BSL. However, the bylaw in place gives power to a city official to order killing of any dog deemed a danger for public security based on deed and without an expert opinion.

Is there a difference?

Although both dogs were killed by city officials empowered by their bylaw, Lennox was killed for his looks – no deed committed, while Wicca’s killing order was based on her deed. The alternative to BSL is to implement bylaws that “punish the deed, not the breed”. In the case of Montreal’s bylaw which is not breed specific, the alternative would be to include consideration of an expert opinion for deeming a dog dangerous, and allow alternatives other than death for dealing with dogs deemed dangerous that could be based on the severity of the injuries caused. Confuse both issues impact your credibility, and that of others defending the cause.

I own a dog, what can I do to keep her safe?

Your dog safety is your responsibility: Know and follow the bylaw in place, licence and leash your dog, spay/neuter, pick up after her: Keep your record clean. Provide her with proper socialization, exercise, and veterinary care. Enrol among your service providers an accredited dog trainer: Just like you had to learn to drive, you were not born with the ability to handle a dog that will in the course of her life face issues in learning to behave in a human lead world. Contact your accredited dog trainer if you notice issues with your dog. Most dog bites are easily prevented: Know what ticks your dog and respect it, or work with your accredited dog trainer.

I have a pitbull-looking dog, should I worry?

Know and respect the bylaw where you live, and avoid living and bringing your dog in a BSL area, and as with any other dog: see above. Work against the stereotype: Smile and say hello to passersby when you walk your dog, you’ll be amazed how this simple action will ease your life in your neighbourhood. Get involved in your community. Be a good neighbour and an exemplary dog owner. Your deed impacts owners of similar type of dogs.

My dog bit someone, what should I do?

A dog bite is a serious matter that is covered in most bylaws, and the result of circumstances that you either did not see or know about, when you should. While a dog bite at home is a private and civil matter, a dog bite in the public space becomes a public security issue and concerns your local government as well. Contact an accredited dog behaviourist right away – and get a lawyer.

What can I do against current laws?

Understand the issues at hand. Know your local politicians, organizations and activists and who you should and should not associate with based on their agendas. Educate yourself on canine issues using credible sources, and educate others. Build your arguments on logic and facts, and remember that officials are responsible for public security: arguing that a dog is more important than a human will not be productive and will discredit all others supporting the same cause. Research the facts before you act and base your actions on those facts. Avoid bringing discredit to yourself and the cause you support by acting on and disseminating assumptions, distortions, lies or half-truths. Respect city officials: They are the ones you will need to work with in order to change the bylaws in place, antagonizing them will bring you nowhere.

For everyone that have been asking me how BSL came to life in Ontario this will explain it all...but since this article was written there has been a gross injustice in our Government by simply not listening to the EXPERTS on the matter that includes testimonies from Ontario Medical Veterinary Association (OMVA) as well as many others of equal and respectable caliber in the field of Animals. Its a blatant disregard to science and statistics

Call your MPP and let him/her know this type of behaviorism will not be tolerated ANYMORE!

http://stubbydog.org/2011/12/how-breed-discriminatory-legislation-came-to-ontario/