Top water baits with tail threads

davey buoy

After yesterdays fishing on the lake,a buddy of mine was getting a lot hits and misses on a hula popper.Knowing I have some somewhere at home I found them. The large mouth were going crazy after this thing. All of my poppers have damaged or missing yellow strands of tail.I tried my live target frog,My top water white buzz bait with the two prop type blades,not a chance.

Where do you get replacement tails?. Went to CT today picked up a couple new white spinner baits(lol),and a couple leaders and noticed the poppers are around $10 a piece. I have 5 that need there tails replaced.I noticed on my damaged ones theirs a band around the tails, but I'm sure it must be glued on as well.If I have to buy 1 or 2 I will ,but wouldn't mind trying to fix these ones if possible.Thanks .

Edited by davey buoy

Buy tails for spinner baits and use them. just put the tail on normally,instead of putting it on backwards as you would do with a spinner bait. I would use gorilla clue or epoxy to secure it.

Where would you pick up spinner bait tails?

And Dozer you never find any difference,interesting.I thought the tail would look like legs and the frog type popper would be complete. Thanks Guys.

If you Google spinner bait skirts you will get a lot of suppliers such as Barlowtackle.com. If your local tackle stores don't carry them they are easy to find on line. You may need to thin them out a bit before using them.

Edited by staffman

I've come to prefer the rebel pop-r to my hulapoppers.

I've found replacement skirts at some tackle shops.

The Pop'R is my favourite as well. The skirt doesn't always last long on these as well. Dressed trebles for an X-Rap work well to replace the rear hook.