Another push for wearing the PFD

Rich Clemens

Just read in the paper yesterday about a boating accident on a lake about 1/2 hour from my house. One person died and another in critical condition. As I read through the article, the name of deceased sounded very familiar to me. After doing some checking, I discovered I was right. The man worked (since retired) for the same company I do, but at a different location. We've worked together on a couple occasions in years past. From what I understand, something caused the steering sheel to turn sharply, throwing both men out of the boat. The older gentleman was 69 years-young and was the one who died. The driver is in critical condition at a local hospital. The driver of the boat ..... was the son of man who died. :( I can't sit here and say what happened during this event, but I keep thinking of all the posts to wear your PFD's. Maybe ... just maybe, that would have made a difference here. This also tells me that things can happen while we're out in the water. Something totally unexpected and out of the blue. Something for all of us to keep in mind. When two go out ... two come back. Thanks for reading.

Edited by Rich Clemens

Wow terrible news Rich. That is truly sad, father and son.

I'm sure the water temp played a large part in the fatality.

I'm off to Algonquin next week and just picked up a pair of Helly Hansen flotation pants.

In the rare event a canoe gets flipped they could add a crucial hour to survival time.

Corn Nug