Opening Day Bass for B&G

So my son and I have been waiting patiently for bass season to roll around and Saturday finally arrives. Bass opener is so relaxed compared to any other opener. No real travel to speak of, because I love river smallmouth the boat stays home and we just wade, no getting up really early because my spots are pretty secret and I know I'll be the only one there, and my son is really rediscovering his love of fishing and the time we spend together for me is very important as he is getting older and getting closer to that time when he'll be starting his own life and family.

So I roll out of bed at 9 am and go pick up some Timmies breakfast sandwiches and coffee. Drive over to the buddy of my son's were he spends Friday nights after clubbing and dogging chicks(He's 19 after all). I pull up and he looks pretty rough. He's got blood all over the back of one shoe and I ask him what happened. In their drunken stupor they decided a grocery cart was a viable means of transport to get home from the club. They took turns running and pushing each other and wiped out when they hit a sewer grate. Oh how the lovely brown fluid can make stupid ideas appear perfectly reasonable.

After breakfast and coffee he felt a little more alive and by the time we got to our spot he was itchin to go.

The technique would be the same, my favourite. Split shotting Yamamoto Flippin Hogs to pockets and holes.

First cast for me and first fish of the season

DSC01565.jpg

We managed a lot of fish in the 11-14 inch range @ 25 or 30

DSC01572.jpg

This was Griffin's best of the day

DSC01573.jpg

This was mine

DSC01569.jpg

I made a cardinal error yesterday though and forgot to change up my mono after it has sat exposed to the sun for a couple of weeks. This resulted in three really good lost fish before I kicked myself realizing what the problem was. Always make sure you have fresh line.

Heres a little video segment not much happening just a nice shot of the river

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnhACkMED7k&feature=plcp

Didn't make a full day of it my hungover non thinking son didn't put sunscreen on and now has a nasty burn as he sits in the living room moaning and whining about it.

Hope everyone enjoyed their opener for bass can't wait to get out some more.

Edited by Musky or Specks

Great day.

Question. What are you looking for in the river,that will hold bass? I have some nice stretches up here,deep pools,and really want to try it.

On the rivers I fish I really like big rocks on gravel flats. These fish love crayfish. Also openings in weeds or transitions from sand to rubble. If your in skinny water any depth will hold fish. Where we started yesterday is a big stretch of water that is 10 inches deep at most. The pool is 2-3 feet and was stacked with bass including one about 19 inches that I broke off due to my lack of diligence when it comes to my line.

My son also learned the value of just shaking your rod as we sight fished a bunch and he could see that just letting the bait sit on the bottom and giving it a shake would provoke a rapid take.

Edited by Musky or Specks

I was a little limited this weekend so I went to a smaller system that's got quantity but not a lot of quality. Good fun with the fly rod though. I got a handful of 12-14's but those are generally the big ones there, though once in a while a bigger one turns up including one that bested me this time.

No report as the camera batteries were out. Next time.

Good fun with the fly rod though. I got a handful of 12-14's but those are generally the big ones there,

Hey Timmeh,care to share what you were using ? If you feel more comfortable pming,by all means,please do. Newbe to fly fishing.

Edited by Misfish

Hey Timmeh,care to share what you were using ? If you feel more comfortable pming,by all means,please do. Newbe to fly fishing.

Nothing fancy in terms of flies. Wolly buggers and clouser minnows accounted for most of the fish. Key is to find out how active the fish are. Sometimes stripping in quickly is the ticket, sometimes you almost have to drag it across the bottom. When you're fishing slow, strikes are a little harder to detect but it helps to watch the end of your fly line for any unexpected movement. Bass are usually much less subtle than trout so the line will usually jump when they hit.

If you've got any more questions just send me a message.

If you've had fun fishing trout, bass on the fly rod are a riot. Hook into a couple pound smallie you'll see why.

Nothing fancy in terms of flies. Wolly buggers and clouser minnows accounted for most of the fish. Key is to find out how active the fish are. Sometimes stripping in quickly is the ticket, sometimes you almost have to drag it across the bottom. When you're fishing slow, strikes are a little harder to detect but it helps to watch the end of your fly line for any unexpected movement. Bass are usually much less subtle than trout so the line will usually jump when they hit.

If you've got any more questions just send me a message.

If you've had fun fishing trout, bass on the fly rod are a riot. Hook into a couple pound smallie you'll see why.

Thanks for the reply. I,ll be a bug in your ear.LOL

• 3 weeks later...

Nice report there Brad, I am gonna be bass fishing at Kearney Lake in AP this weekend for some family camping.

I am also thinking about doing some evening portages In the vicinity. Hope you don't mind but I need ur input about the area for some Splakes..... ;)

Keep fishing

Miro