a-rig reports

jedimaster

I threw my buddy's during pike opener weekend, Just to see what it was like.

Neither he nor I have used it since. No, I didn't catch anything with it, I found it a bit of a pain to rig 4 baits on, and the other reason is that it doesn't exactly go away when not in use. It wanted to get tangled up with my other rods when laid down in the boat.

Link to the MNR regulation on the A-Rig...

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/LetsFish/2ColumnSubPage/STDPROD_097331.html

Here are a few excerpts from it:

Most jurisdictions in North America have specific regulations on the number of hooks that can be attached to an angler's line. In Ontario, it is illegal to fish with a line that has more than four hooks attached. As a result, the Alabama version of the Umbrella rig with five hooks or lures attached is not permitted for use in the province. However, if modified to four strands or arms to accommodate only four hooks, it is allowed.

Anglers can legally use these rigs in the province if no more than four lures, each with just one hook, are attached.

Attaching four crankbaits or other hard-body lures with more than one treble hook per lure to the rig is not permitted. A treble hook is deemed to be one hook on an artificial lure.

I'm kicking myself for not using it....completely forgot that it was in the tackle bag. Had been finding a few decent bass in shallow weeds where I figured they would be, but getting stupid amounts of rockbass along rocky/woody shoreline. Noticed that anytime I'd get close to 20FOW, there were lots of marks on the bottom....and active looking fish too, as they would be coming up and down a few feet off bottom. Deep cranks and dropshot didn't produce, so we moved on. Remembered the a-rig on the way home wallbash.gif

IMO, these thing's seem like they'd be more of a PITA than anything and it's amusing that everyone jumps on the bandwagon because someone used it to win a tourney. a perfect example why companies pay big money to have these walking billboards promote their products.

but, it seems like the majority of reports i've heard/read aren't exactly proving this rig to be a real winner.

how much do they cost?

Its pricey to throw one... 4 swimbait hooks @5 bucks, 10 for the rig and a pack of 4 swimbaits maybe another 5 bucks or more.

So you are looking at throwing atleast 20 bucks for one setup. Definatly want to make sure your knot is good.

Its pricey to throw one... 4 swimbait hooks @5 bucks, 10 for the rig and a pack of 4 swimbaits maybe another 5 bucks or more.

So you are looking at throwing atleast 20 bucks for one setup. Definatly want to make sure your knot is good.

that's not that bad for a rig that catches tons of fish, but i haven't been seeing many reports of using the alabama rig with exceptional results. i'd bet they would be great when the fish are in an aggressive mood, especially when you're seeing other bass follow the hooked one to the boat.

hmmmm...they would work great under a float for catfish to really get a scent trail goin :thumbsup_anim: